a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Ordering a new axle

Started by crazycarl, August 03, 2019, 08:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

on our way home from this years CLR our trailer blew a tire.  after replacing it with the spare and arriving home, i inspected the trailer and the tires look way too close to the trailer frame.  they have a very distinct negative camber.  (the top of the tire is angled in)  i suspect the tire had been rubbing with each bounce and finally worn through.  it was in so many small pieces it wasn't possible to find the rupture.

this brings me to believe the axle is in need of replacement.  i found a place that will custom build a galvanized axle for me at a reasonable price.  i would like to have a drop axle so i can put larger tires on the trailer.  has anyone installed a drop axle, and if so, how much drop does it have?

options are 1" to 5" by 1/2" increments. 

thanks in advance
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Cylonrob

What did you end up going with and are you happy? I'm considering a drop axle for my new 1985 19/2 since the magic tilt 7 inch brakes and hubs are shot and I'd like to use bigger tires.

crazycarl

Look under the heading New Trailer Axle.
I list everything I ordered.  The installation was very easy.  I did it alone without any special tools.  Trailered the 19 from Northern IL to the coast of NC without a problem.  The boat towed much smoother with the larger tires.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"