a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclipse

Started by Robert T, March 01, 2021, 05:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert T

My wife and I started sailing back in the 1980's with Com Pacs.  We belonged to the Com Pac club in Clearwater, FL;  we owned and raced a CP16, CP19 and CP23.  We eventually ended up with a 1988 Pearson 31 which we sailed for 20 years, and reluctantly sold her last Fall.

We miss being on the water and want to buy a trailerable easy to rig boat.  We thought about buying another CP 19, but from my online research, it looks like the Eclipse would be a better fit.  I talked with the dealer in St. Petersburg today who was very helpful and gave me some preliminary prices.

The problem is that I have never actually seen an Eclipse in person.  Apparently they are sailing out the door as soon as they are built...  If anyone has an Eclipse in the Tampa Bay area and is willing to let us see their boat, my wife and I would greatly appreciate it.
We have each had both Covid 19 vaccination shots!  Thanks.

slode

You aren't that far from the factory.  Do you know if they have one close to completion?  I'm sure Hutchins would welcome you to take a look.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

alsantini

Robert, I am so sorry that this year is the only year I did not bring my Eclipse down to FL for the winter.  COVID got in the way.  Next year I WILL bring Off The Wind down here again.  So, if you are still looking next year you can come south a bit (We are in the Venice area) and spend the day on the water.  On the water is the best place to really see an Eclipse.  However in the meantime should you have questions, please feel free to call.  I am always ready to talk Eclipse.  630-728-6035
For reference I have been sailing for about 50 years and have owned 8 different boats.  The Eclipse is the last and possibly the best sailing boat of the flotilla. I have a 2007, #49 Boat and bought her in the spring 7 years ago.  Winters I trailer sail with every time stepping the mast.  Summers the boat is in a slip on a large lake in northern Illinois.  I have some stuff that I have written: one to step the mast and another as a comparison between the Eclipse and a Precision 21.  I also have an article that I could send you.  Message me your e mail address if you want.  Al

Mike K

I have a 2015 Eclipse on a trailer next to my house in North Port Florida I could let you take a look at if you still haven't seen one.  I've had my share of boats similar to Al S. as well as a Seaward 25. I find the Eclipse to be a very good balance between trailerability, ease of launch, sailing performance, comfort and shoal draft for these skinny Florida waters. It's also not too bad to stay overnight on for a couple days of boat camping. The downside for some families is it only has a porta-potty.

Yes they are rare, and I don't understand why, except maybe for initial cost when new. I had trouble finding a used boat, and it took about 8 months of waiting until a good one came on the market last year. You have to be quick when it does. I drove 1000 miles each way from Florida to Annapolis with a certified check in my pocket assuming it was as good as the pictures and it turned out very well.
Mike K.  2015 Eclipse  Previously owned Com-Pac Legacy, Precision 21, MacGregor 21 Seaward 25

carry-on

Robert T.
You may have moved on with your search for an Eclipse. There is a 2018 model for sale in Pensacola. $39,900, quite a high price, but looks to be well equipped. The add is in Yacht World. I called the broker to determine availability. The ad is current and the pictures are two weeks old even though they look like showroom.
The broker: Terry Myers at 850-432-5500.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

Cpy23ecl

Definitely a premium price, I only paid a couple thousand more for my 2021 eclipse although I don't have the compass, autopilot, anchor, or charger, but I did get the upgraded trailer with larger tires and disc brakes.

Fred

Robert T

Thanks for the heads-up carry-on.  I saw that boat advertised, but they are asking substantially more than I sold my Pearson 31 for.  I'm looking for one a few years older for a more reasonable price.