a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Potomac Rally?

Started by GrafRig, May 10, 2021, 04:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrafRig

Do any sailors in the middle Potomac have interest in some sort of rally or meetup this year? We sail out of the Leesylvania Park area, but could go further north or south if a group wanted to have some sort of get together.

~Grafrig

5monkeys

Hi Graf,
   That could be fun! We trailer sail our 19, typically from Pohick Bay, but could venture down to Leesylvania, I've avoided it before as I've heard the lot fills up and I wouldn't want to trailer all the way down there and not get in...
Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

Bilgemaster

I've been away from this Forum and sailing in general for the duration of those Covid Blues, contenting myself with occasional "Mental Health Jaunts" on my old Royal Enfield Bullet 500 single motorcycle to get some wind in my face. I should pipe in here though, seeing as I keep both my Com-Pac 16 Mk. III "Foundling" and MacGregor 26X in that Leesylvania State Park boat lot. In fact, my Com-Pac's not the only one there. There's another earlier CP16 and a truly ravishing 23-footer there as well, the latter arguably being the most lovely boat in that lot.

Addressing "5monkey's" concerns, in all my years there I've never seen the boat lots (there are two) actually full to capacity, even during those occasional popular Bass Fishing Tournaments such as last weekend's. For sailors I would recommend the lot by the Northern Virginia Sailing School, which is right there in the park. The big triple-wide launch ramp there is a bit less hectic, and there is plenty of nearby dockage to lay up or even overnight nearby. It's also closer to the little events shelters one can reserve and a nice long wading beach for the kiddies. Obviously weekends, and especially holiday weekends, the park's a lot more crowded, but I doubt you'd ever NOT be able to launch and park your trailer. If in doubt, I would just contact the Park. Phone and other details can be found at:
https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/leesylvania.

If someone is planning a get together at Leesylvania, do feel free to shoot me a PM with a contact number. I'm there quite a lot nowadays, casting out the cobwebs of neglect from the boats, and might be able to lend a hand. In fact, I'm actually on my way to the park in just a few minutes.