News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anyone have an tiller pilot on their Eclipse?

Started by alsantini, March 08, 2021, 02:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Hello everyone.  I am contemplating installing a tiller pilot to my Eclipse.  Has anyone installed one?  and if yes, do you have any pictures?  Thanks, Al

brackish

Probably not too much help because it is a 23, but some key things.  They emphasize that it be installed to operate level to reduce strain on the unit.  So the bracket under the tiller and not easy to see but I put a 3/8" square of aluminum plate where the socket is on the coaming to lift it a little and reinforce that pivot point.  Another decision is where to put the socket to plug into, mine is in the footwell which is adjacent to the cockpit locker that has the battery box.  It has worked out ok but you want it somewhere where it will not get in the way when you are in the cockpit.  You probably know they have a very complete installation manual you can review prior to purchase. 

Mine is the ST 1000 model.  it does very well on most points of sail and particularly while motoring, but it cannot anticipate like a helmsman can when wind gusts or direction changes occur on a beam to close reach so reaction time lags and it does not do as well on those points of sail.

Tim Gardner

Brack,  Is it a photo-optical illusion or is your stern pulpit bent?
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

brackish

Yes bent, the prior owner let it get into a dock in a big storm.