Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Upper Currituck Sound

Started by Chris D, January 06, 2020, 12:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris D

Hi All,

I was curious if anyone here has had any experience sailing the upper Currituck Sound. I have heard and read that it is shallow and I wonder what that means.
The NOAA Nav chart shows maybe an average of 4 feet, with depths as deep as 7ft and as shallow as 1ft. I thought I read on the chart that the survey used for the stated depths, was done in 1900 or so. Could this be true?
  I have sailed a bit on the Sinepuxent Bay and it was pretty shallow there too. I ran aground a couple of times. Once, my brother and I had to get out of the boat and walked her back the way we came, because there was only one way into the shallow area.

Anyway, I'm always up for an adventure and will be staying around Corolla in July. Is it worth hauling the ol 16 to play?

Chris
"Ojos" Com-pac 16 #540,

Bramble

Chris,
I'd say go for it.  There is a lot of skinny water in NC but a  c-16 can sail in most of it.  And, as you observed, if you run aground you just push it off.  Be sure that you can find a boat ramp.  The NC Wildlife site (https://www.ncpaws.org/wrcmapbook/baa.aspx) doesn't show much around Corolla.
mike

crazycarl

Quote from: Chris D on January 06, 2020, 12:50:33 AM
Hi All,

I was curious if anyone here has had any experience sailing the upper Currituck Sound. I have heard and read that it is shallow and I wonder what that means.
The NOAA Nav chart shows maybe an average of 4 feet, with depths as deep as 7ft and as shallow as 1ft. I thought I read on the chart that the survey used for the stated depths, was done in 1900 or so. Could this be true?
  I have sailed a bit on the Sinepuxent Bay and it was pretty shallow there too. I ran aground a couple of times. Once, my brother and I had to get out of the boat and walked her back the way we came, because there was only one way into the shallow area.

Anyway, I'm always up for an adventure and will be staying around Corolla in July. Is it worth hauling the ol 16 to play?

Chris

always.  even if you'e headed inland.  ;)
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Chris D

Thank you guys, for your words of encouragement. I have been looking forward to sailing those waters and south.
And you're right Carl, it is always worth it!
"Ojos" Com-pac 16 #540,

geeman

Lots of great water from Elizabeth City and east.  And the Albemarle is great also. There are good ramps at Plymouth and Edenton. 
1978 Com-Pac 16
Hull Number 558

Sunny Day

Hi, Labor Day weekend a few years ago, I launched at the Southern Shores community boat launch and sailed the waters between Duck and Manteo for a few days.  Great winds and occasional short chop, but no issues with grounding, but I didn't push up into the shallower areas.

Enjoy

Steve
Steve
2015 Sunday Cat

Chris D

Thanks again guys for your great input!
Geeman, I have been looking at the Albemarle Loop and putting on my list. It looks like it would be a hoot.

Steve, thank you so much for sharing your experience. I've looked into Southern Shores and we booked a place there since they have the community boat launch. Should prove to be a nice stay with plenty of sail time.
"Ojos" Com-pac 16 #540,

Chris D

Just a little late but better than never post.
We had a fantastic time sailing Currituck Sound. We did stay at Southern Shores and they had an accessible ramp, but it is private and the owners of the place we stayed purchased a membership so that we could use it. You had to have a pass in your vehicle. It seems like there is an issue with the residents vs. folks who rent out their homes.
But the ramp wasn't busy at all, we only saw one other boat use it the whole week we were there.
Nice body of water, low traffic, gorgeous sunsets.
There was a public ramp called Sound Park, across the sound from us that we sailed to, so that could be an option in the future. Less convenient, but still an option.
All in all, we really enjoyed our time there.
"Ojos" Com-pac 16 #540,

Sunny Day

Yes, I didn't have any issues with the ramp because my brother in law is a longterm resident of the neighborhood.

Glad to hear you had a nice trip and that the ramp is in good order.  I am thinking of going back down there this summer.

Cheers,
Steve
Steve
2015 Sunday Cat