a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

new CP 23 rigging question

Started by hiflyer152, March 31, 2021, 02:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hiflyer152

Aloha all - I have just received my new CP 23/4 and am in the process of getting the rigging up.  As this is the first sailboat I have owned and set up I have come up with many questions.  Currently, after stepping the mast and attaching the stays and shrouds I've come across an apparent problem I hope to correct with some help.  From the handbook that came with the boat the forward and aft lower shrouds are installed inboard of the lifelines.  This arrangement appears to force the turnbuckle against the lower lifeline which will cause significant chafe.  Do the lowers split the lifelines = outboard of the lower lifeline and inboard of the upper lifeline?  Thanks for any replies.

BobK

Aloha!
Any CP23 I have seen has only one lifeline  that the lower shrouds went on the inboard side.
BobK

BobK

If splitting the lifelines works without chafe it seems like the right thing  to do.

hiflyer152

Thanks.  I did add a 2nd lifeline - and while there may be some contact if I split the lifelines it doesn't look to have the pressure that keeping the lower lifeline inboard of the shroud.  I'll find out tomorrow.

brackish

I have a 23IV but only have a single lifeline, but I have heavy canvas chafe guards on all my standing rigging lower turnbuckles.  You may consider that, but there should be very little motion contact and I can't see it as a problem unless it distorts the lifeline significantly.

curtisv

Quote from: hiflyer152 on March 31, 2021, 11:17:41 PM
Thanks.  I did add a 2nd lifeline - and while there may be some contact if I split the lifelines it doesn't look to have the pressure that keeping the lower lifeline inboard of the shroud.  I'll find out tomorrow.

You must have added that second lifeline very low.  Usually they are added high, more as a backup if the upper lifeline fails.  I have seen people add a second lifeline low (on other boats) in order to add kiddie netting between the lifelines.  I prefer to throw the kids overboard.  (While at anchor of course).  Now the kids are in their 30s so not as easy as it used to be.  My daughter is kinda light.  Wandering off topic.  If you added that sort of very low lifeline I could see how going over that one would work and thru the kiddie netting if you have that too.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access