a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lifeline question

Started by Cpy23ecl, November 25, 2020, 11:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpy23ecl

I ordered the lifeline option on the new eclipse but was surprised to see that the cockpit end of both lifelines had a toggle jaw with a clevis pin and cotter ring instead of a pelican hook.  That means that essentially both lifelines are fixed instead of being able to easily drop the lifeline at the cockpit for boarding.

How big of a problem will that be?  Seems like boarding from a dock would be awkward for people with short legs.

Thanks

Fred

TedW

Hi Fred,
My Eclipse came the same way. I replaced the pins with the type that have a small detent and ring. Easy to
remove and replace. But also a bit easier to drop in the lake.
Enjoy your new boat. Are you planning to sail in northern MI next summer?

Cpy23ecl

Thanks for the idea.  Hoping to spend some time in Traverse Bay if this virus stuff ever settles down.  Another area I'm hoping to sail in is the Les Cheneaux Islands. 

The detent pin with a lanyard attached to the arch seems like a good solution.

Fred

Cpy23ecl

PENN

I had a 1987 ComPac 16 and the stanchions on that boat were bombproof,
however the 2017 Eclipse stanchions were nothing the same. 
The layup of the cabin top at the stanchions seems soft, and I observed lots of flex with minimal force.
I am sure I could tear them right off the boat, if they were put to the test.

In my opinion, the lifelines are a decoration, and maybe offer a sense of security for people who are not completely comfortable onboard the boat.
They definitely make it hard to board the boat (without a release at the rear), and they made it impossible to sit on the seat back, which I do routinely when the cockpit gets too crowded, and when motoring in congested waterways.

For that reason, I had Torresen (Muskegon) cut mine down, so I could have the option of taking the lifelines off, and off is where they have stayed.

The woman-o was too uncomfortable to try riding on the cabin top/bow without them, so I may put them back on this coming spring, to see if that helps, but to me, they don't offer much.

I bet Hutchins could do something similar at the factory, on a fresh build, for less money.

Pinned in.

Disconnected.

Lifelines BEGONE!

Cpy23ecl

Penn,

Do you sail out of muskegon?  I've stopped in muskegon once or twice on our way up the lake but usually went to whitehall and then ludington.

Fred