a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anchoring an Eclipse and using a Storm Sail

Started by Brent65, January 04, 2021, 06:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent65

How would you describe the nature of the Eclipse at anchorage?  Does it tend to skate back and forth off the bow anchor?  Has anyone used a storm sail to minimize the seaway? 

slode

The Eclipse does tend to skate back and forth at anchor.  It can swing in a pretty large arc with a bit of wind and calm water. The hull acts as an air foil generating lift when at an angle to the wind pushing the boat forward until the rode pulls the bow back over then it repeats the other direction. 

One way to rid of this issue is to run a spring line from the anchor line to the mid cleat (or stanchion), to create a V between the side of the boat and the anchor line.  I do this by first setting anchor as normal.  Then tie the spring line to the anchor line with a rolling hitch just forward of the bow cleat.  Then tie off the other end of the line to the mid cleat leaving not much slack.  Then let out the anchor line to a point where the boat settles in at an angle further off the wind.  45-60 degrees off the wind seams to work okay.  I wouldn't recommend this in heavy winds or rough seas but in calmer water having the wind closer to your side in this manner will keep her swinging though much less of an arc.

As far as storm sails are concerned I haven't had any experience with that.  Unless you're considering a trip to the Bahamas or other long offshore passage I don't see a circumstance where you should ever encounter conditions warranting that.  I did carry a sea anchor on Superior.  My plan if caught in a really bad storm was to run bare pole with the sock set off the bow on 20' of chain and 200' of nylon rope.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41