a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

27 MK11 power panel - how to access the inside

Started by rvenegasrico, January 30, 2021, 11:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvenegasrico

Ahoy Com-Pac Sailors. Dec 2020 we purchased Vamos, a 1989 27/2. What a pleasure to sail our new Com-Pac.

I need to check how things look like inside the control panel in preparation to upgrading the original AC system.

I tried just removing the 4 face plate screws and pull it out, but it did not give out easily, so I stopped.

Any hints or pics or videos of how to get back there would be much appreciated.

Fair winds and following seas.

Ramon & Beth
S/V Vamos

wes

I thought you got pretty good answers to this question from the FaceBook group a few days ago.

This panel is designed to be serviced from the rear, not the front. The only reason to remove it would be a total replacement, and for that you'd need to start by disconnecting all the wiring from the rear.

For inspection, pull off the rear cover (wooden box) and inspect from behind.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

rvenegasrico

Thanks Wes - I saw the response to wiggle it out from the front ... so don't wiggle it out from the front!

I'll take a look at the back of the box. I need to see what's in there as I planning to change a few things on the AC side.

Thanks,
Ramon

rvenegasrico

I just took a look at it and I see 2 screws on the top and 2 on the bottom of the box. So just unscrew those 4 to separate the box from the steps?

Thx

MHardy

Seagull II, 1987 CP 27
Seagull, 1983 CP 16
Washington, North Carolina

rvenegasrico

MHardy

You are most welcome. As it turns out, I was inside my electrical panel today, to replace the main AC power breaker that has been tripping.

A PSA for 27 owners, your main breaker might be a 30 amp three pole like mine (1987 boat). If so, replacements are a bit hard to find. Got mine here: https://www.hodgesmarine.com/pan206-087-paneltronics-breaker-30-amps-w-reverse-polarity-t.html
Seagull II, 1987 CP 27
Seagull, 1983 CP 16
Washington, North Carolina