a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Who Built a Dodger for their 19?

Started by crazycarl, February 08, 2021, 07:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

I'm in the infant planning stage of a long trip and would like ideas on a dodger.   I don't want a hard dodger as that may make it harder to sell the boat when the time comes.

Ideas?
Pictures?
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Bob23

I used to be a Dodger fan, but now it's the Mets all the way!!
CC- Why not a removable hard dodger? Simple pine framing, thin plywood and some epoxy and presto! You got yourself a dodger!  Removable with stainless wing nuts.
Just my 2 cents- keep the change!
Bob23

crazycarl

Where's the rim shot when you need it?

My thought is a collapsible dodger would allow me easier access to the bow and removal for trailering.  With the supplies in my shop I could easily build a hard dodger and it would be cheaper.   As you know, I'm all about being cheap.  Just look in my liquor cabinet and clothes closet.

Thinking..........I could use 1/4" underlayment, and do I have a lot of cedar in the rack. 

Or, I could go the Salty19 route and mount a couple umbrellas above the companionway!

kickingbug1

oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

crazycarl

Tim Gardner

I've got a hardtop for my AH Sprite that would work as a dodger on a 19.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

brackish

Hey people, come on, I know it's Crazy Carl, but this is a serious question.  I'd like to have one too. With my ever declining back health it would give me at least two square feet of standing headroom below.

slode

Don't know if anyone here has checked out the dodger Des had made for his Eclipse.  I know it's not the exact same companion way as the 19, but close.  It sure looks sweet. 

https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=12014.0
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

crazycarl

That dodger looks great.  That is just what I was thinking.  I've been looking at buying the stainless tubing and fittings and fabricating one myself.  Our daughter sewed up a new bimini top for the existing frame and she could make the covering for the dodger.  (she just doesn't know it yet)

I think a dodger would make Joanie much more comfortable as it would provide more shade and allow us to keep the sliding hatch open on rainy nights.