a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

through-hull for mast-mount antenna

Started by mhrivnak, September 08, 2004, 03:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhrivnak

I'm considering installing a mast-top VHF antenna on my CP19 instead of using my current emergency antenna or a handheld radio.  So, some questions:

I mostly sail on Kerr Lake, which is very large and straddles the NC/VA border.  Very often the person I will want to communicate with will be around a bend or in a location with trees between us.  Will getting the antenna 25 feet higher make much difference?

How should I make a through-hull fitting?  How about something like this?

http://tinyurl.com/6krzt

I've never done something quite like this, so all advice is welcome and appreciated!

Michael Hrivnak

(ed. note: Michael - I used //www.tinyurl.com to get that link smaller a bit. boy was that a long one! :) Kurt)

CaptK

That's the type of fitting I have on Epiphany.

A masthead antenna does make a big difference in range. VHF is line of sight, so it won't go through a hill, but that would help with the trees in your way.

Mine goes through the deck next to the pad the mast foot sits on. The electrical connection for the steaming light is in the same place.

When you run the wires up inside your mast, get some pipe insulation to tape in place around them. That will keep them from clanging around. :)
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

Gil Weiss

Make sure you wrap all external connections and fittings including the antenna and the through hull fitting with electrical tape and then cover liberally with silicone sealer.

I used this process with many outdoor antennas over the years as I am an amateur radio operator (WB3JJF). It will last several years exposed to the elements. If you do not seal every external connection water gets in and seeps along the coax corroding all. Make sure you use high quality coaxial cable too.