a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Questions about Interior Cushions

Started by RedBaron, August 02, 2018, 12:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedBaron

In preparation for getting my new CP-16 on the water I pulled the interior cabin cushions out of the boat last night. I was going to pull the covers off the cushion so I could wash them but the zippers won't budge. I tried some WD-40 and some White Vinegar and scrubbing but so far nothing has helped. I'm wondering if anyone here has run into stuck zippers on these cushions and how they dealt with it?

I am looking at picking up a portable carpet cleaner for the carpet inside of the boat already so I could just shampoo the cushions using that. But I was hoping to put them through a proper wash. I also wanted to examine the foam and make sure it's still good and that it's not covered in mold etc.

UpNorth1122

Hey there- just got an ?89 16/3 and I?m looking through every topic on this site.  If you get this, did you solve the issue?  Looking at doing the same to mine, as well as figure out what to do for cockpit cushions. Thanks!

Charles

Garyandjoanlee

Have a 16 ll here on the coast of Maine. Interior cushions would be awesome. Of course,that would mean cleaning all the junk out of the way. Anyone ever slept in one???
Gary
Gary & Joan Lee
Passing Wind
Com Pac 16 ll

In The Pocket

Quote from: Garyandjoanlee on July 18, 2020, 08:41:23 PM
Have a 16 ll here on the coast of Maine. Interior cushions would be awesome. Of course,that would mean cleaning all the junk out of the way. Anyone ever slept in one???
Gary

This guy (who used to be active here) blogged about several trips he took in upper lake Michigan.  He slept in it overnight. 

https://www.argobuilder.com/sailing-from-door-county-to-the-up-michigan.html

Ken J

I have slept in mine - put a camping mat under the cushions and a thermarest on top with a sleeping bag - slept pretty good

PalmettoSailor

My zippers were corroded, too. After a tug or two, it broke. The zipper end wasn't stitched closed, so I just grabbed it and pulled it open. Probably going to take the zipper off at the seams and re-sew a new zipper in its place. Probably be calling Sailrite.
As for the foam, it was in ok shape to have  been on the boat since 1987. Thinking about replacing that, too. It's really too thin for sleeping. Better foam or additional pads as suggested would probably be better. Hope the cover will come clean. Would hate to have to make new ones.