a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mainsheet Standup Block/Cleat Replacement

Started by Bristol14, August 07, 2020, 07:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bristol14

My wife and I had a nice sail down the Marion & Mattapoisett coast today, but on the way back as I was pulling the mainsheet tighter, the standup block with the cleat snapped off at the base. I was able to secure the mainsheet by tying it to a stern cleat and sailed home with no issues.

The mainsheet arrangement was made by Ronstan and since my ?23 was made in 1987, it?s 33 years old. I checked with Matt at Com-Pac, but they have switched to Garhauer blocks. It also appears that Ronstan doesn?t make the same setup today, though I?ve asked them for alternatives. I?m also thinking I maybe able to repair the block at the base with a small stainless bolt or even a clevis pin.

Thoughts or suggestions on replacements?  Whichever route I take, I?m not looking forward to trying to reach the bolts that hold the base of the block to the stern deck...

Paul

brackish

At that age I think I would replace rather than repair.  I have the same Ronstan but mine is only fifteen years old.

If it is any consolation when I replaced the drop in fuel locker cover with a hinged teak cover (picture)I had to crawl in the port cockpit locker in order to back the screws.  Was it easy, no, I kept wishing one of my skinny sons had made a visit to do it.  But is was doable.

brackish

Additionally, for years I have considered  converting my mainsheet rig to mid boom with a true traveler setup.  I think if I lost one of the stern mounted fittings it would drive me to that.

Bristol14

I?ve considered that as well but have read in previous posts that it adds minimal performance to the 23. Plus, not sure I want to add to what is now a pretty simple setup.

For now I?ve decided to jury rig a fiddle block with a cleat attached to a stern cleat and the remaining standup block to get me through the summer. I?m a fair weather sailor so this should be fine until I pull the boat this fall. I?ve ruled out trying to replace the mainsheet setup in very tight quarters while Mudlark is bouncing around on her mooring.
Paul

brackish

Understand, I was on the hard when I did it, very early in the morning before it got hot, with my wife standing by in case I got stuck and couldn't get out. 

It is not just for performance that I would consider mid boom sheeting.  I don't expect much on that front.  I really don't like the sheets back there.  They get in the way of so many things.  Boarding from the stern ladder and access to the motor, access to the Magma, are some examples. Additionally I would like to move my Bimini back further and can't because of the sheets.  I would like the position to make the bridge deck clear so I can enter the cabin standing and not stooping and crawling over it. Tired of them catching my Tilley on a jibe and sweeping it into the drink or getting looped around the tiller or motor tiller, or my neck.  And I don't like having to turn around to deal with the mainsheet, would rather have all sailing controls in front of me.

The downside, as some have mentioned, is the potential for the sheets blocking entrance to the cabin.  My last boat had mid boom and that was not really a problem.  And when anchored or docked no problem moving the traveler all the way to one side providing you have a topping lift and don't have to rely on the backstay pigtail.

Bristol14

My first jury rig attempt did not work very well, so I went to Plan B. I rebuilt the swivel set-up, mounted it on a scrap piece of mahogany and secured it to the stern cleat with ss u-bolts. Tested in in 20 kt winds yesterday and it worked flawlessly. This will keep me sailing until I pull Mudlark out in the late fall. Once I?m on the hard, I?ll make the permanent repair with a new swivel set-up mounted to the stern deck properly.

Paul