Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New (to me) Com-Pac 19 Owner

Started by SailawaySC, October 01, 2020, 08:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SailawaySC

Hey everyone!
A few weeks ago I introduced myself in the Sailors Lounge section and everyone was very welcoming and said I should fit right in. We made it to Michigan by way of Toledo to drop off my son's car and furniture (He recently got stationed there with the USCG) and then made a trip to Onekama, MI to pick up the boat. I had a survey completed the week prior and other than a few minor things, it went well. We are new to sailing and this will be a learning experience, she was bigger than I thought and we immediately fell in love with her classic lines.
We got her home safely, towed much easier than I expected, had the trailer shop install new bearing buddies and new wheels, which gave me the old two as spares for the trip of close to 1400 miles. Towed her with a 2019 GMC Sierra and hardly noticed she was back there.
We have made up a list of items that need addressed before we sail her for the first time and a separate list of upgrades to personalize her and make her ours. The running rigging needs replaced as most of the lines are chafed pretty bad, got them on order through Defender and also went to Sail Rite and added a Boom Vang and Lazy Jacks to keep the main a little neater on the boom and after reading the forums, got the Boom Vang as it was highly recommended. As we are new to sailing I want it to be as easy as possible, more for my wife than me as I want it her to be as comfortable as possible. (it took me about 5 years to get her on board, so hopefully you understand).
The boat came with a roller furling and the I believe it to be an older model CCI FF2 as it is different from their current model. We got the mast raised and sails on in the yard to practice and everything went well. The mast was easier than I thought, had a few lines crossed on first attempt, but got her figured out on second try. I will have to lower it to replace the steam light on the mast, and new wind indicator and then she should be good to go. The motor that came with her is a 2020 Mercury 4 stroke 6Hp still under factory warranty, so that was a plus.
I have attached a photo of the first project I finished last night, I made a Galley option for her out of some oak my dad left me before he passed and I think he would be happy with it's use. The table folds down and acts as a door to hide the water jerry cans I am using as gray water holding tank and fresh water tank. There is also a small sliding door that will give access to a few items such as canned goods and a pan or two (and my percolator).
I will provide details of the galley if anyone is interested, just ask here or PM me. Also, I will provide updates with pics as I complete the list, and if anyone want to know what Boom Vang or Lazy Jacks I ordered, I can get that info too.

Now just need a name....Thinking about "Mimosa" not for the drink, but for the star Beta Crucis in the Southern Cross constellation...Thoughts?? The Southern Cross has a story behind it and is a pretty good topic with our family. Long story short, went to Australia with my son on business and pleasure. Enjoyed the pub scene and lost a bet on a UFC fight between AU and USA and well....we are now both proud owners of a Southern Cross tattoo on our backs.

Cheers!
"It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live." From Ta Eis Heauton (Meditations), Marcus Aurelius. 170-180 A.D.

Keith

Looks like you got yourself a nice boat. 

And nice job on the galley unit.  I'm contemplating something similar, but haven't decided whether I want a portable galley box or a more "installed" unit like you built. 

Cheers,

Keith 

SailawaySC

Thanks, the unit is "semi-portable" if I had to remove it, the unit is only held in place by two brass hook and eye latches. It fits out the Companionway hatch, it is a close fit but I was able to manage by myself.
"It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live." From Ta Eis Heauton (Meditations), Marcus Aurelius. 170-180 A.D.