a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclipse vs CP23

Started by Cpy23ecl, August 01, 2020, 12:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpy23ecl

Just curious how those that have sailed on both the 23 and the eclipse would compare their sailing abilities and seaworthiness.

Thanks.

Fred

Reighnman

Having not sailed on either but having sailed along both at the same time Id say they aren't very comparable. Weight, center board, design all make them very different boats. Ones a very trailer-able weekend cruiser while the other was designed to cruise open waters around Florida and even beyond to the Bahamas. I think the Eclipse replaced the 19.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

alsantini

I agree with the above post.  These two boats are really not in comparison mode.  I have sailed on a C/P 23 and own an Eclipse.  If I were looking for a boat that would live in a marina and not be trailer sailed, the 23 would be ideal.  It sails well and is comfortable in both the cabin and cockpit.  The major disadvantage is that it will take a substantial amount of time to get her in the water.  The boom and sails will be in the cabin.  The mast will require much effort to step, probably needing two adults.  Once in the water she will sail all day in comfort.  Maybe not the fastest boat, but more than adequate.  Limited weather helm and decent pointing ability.  Put it in a slip for the season or sail to far away points.  Now if the desire is to trailer sail, then there are few boats that can equal the Eclipse.  It carries the boom and sails on deck, cutting down on step time.  Slide the mast on the Teflon foot aft, insert two pins and the J pole and pull the mast up.  One person can easily step the Eclipse mast. I am 74 years old and probably not in the best of shape and it takes me 20 minutes or so to get in the water.  After the mast is up the boom and sails slide up and into position.  The Eclipse is a great sailing boat.  Not fast but very stable and predictable.  It carries 200 sq foot of sail, which is adequate but not 1st place finish quantity.  The cockpit will fit 4 adults comfortably and the cabin will sleep 2 adults, but they must be friends or perhaps married.  Overall it is a great boat and the best sailing boat that I have owned.  2 Catalinas, 2 Precisions and a bunch of small boats.  None sail better.  Even the Admiral likes how the boat is steady, stable and predictable.  If you want to talk send me a PM and I will give you my cell phone number.  I am always available to talk Eclipse.    Al

Cpy23ecl

Thanks for the replies.  I understand that they are two very different boats.  I currently own a 23 which I sail on Lk MI but have just ordered a new eclipse without ever having sailed one.  I hate to admit it, but I've bought more boats without a sea trial than have ones with a sea trial but so far have never been disappointed.

I had intended to use the 23 (also purchased without a sea trial), mainly for solo day sailing but with an occasional weekend or possibly week long trip but while I have really enjoyed the boat for day sailing I have found the cabin too cramped for extended travel and it takes too much time to rig and de-rig for me to want to trailer to different destinations on the great lakes for sailing. So after a lot of contemplation decided to order the new eclipse thinking that it will be so much easier to trailer and will use b&bs or hotels for accommodations and just day sail in different great lakes locations.

My question was just because I was curious how different the eclipse would feel when sailing vs the 23 (i.e. hoping that I won't regret my decision to switch to the eclipse).  Looks like I won't find out until next spring as the estimated delivery date is late Oct to early Nov.

I've owned a Bayfield 25, O'Day 28, Catalina 30 MkIII and now the 23.  My O'Day was by far the best sailing of the bunch with the ability to point as high as 25 degrees apparent and still move decently but was a bit tender and had to start reefing when the winds hit 15kts.  The Bayfield was by far the boat I felt the safest on with over 4500lb displacement and a full keel, but didn't start moving decently until winds got over 10kts and wouldn't point worth a darn.  I'd put my 23 between the Bayfield and the Catalina in terms of sailing ability (but not seaworthiness).  I've enjoyed every one of the boats even though they all had different sailing characteristics.

I'm hoping the eclipse will sail as well or slightly better than the 23 and be a lot less work to trailer.

Fred

brackish

If it is any consolation I've never had a sea trial on any boat I've bought, nor have I ever sailed on the same model previously.  I've owned four boats, the ComPac 23IV, Columbia 8.7, Columbia 24 Challenger (the flush deck model) and local yard built 17' wooden boat that was fashioned after a Herreshoff design.  Liked them all despite no sea trial.

TedW

I?ve owned an Eclipse since June...no sea trial , and have been perfectly happy with it. We spent 52 nights one summer on a cp23 (we were younger) and I have to say that you shouldn?t discount the Eclipse for overnights and weekends. The v berth seems as big as the 23 and is easier to enter/exit. (No bulkhead).
My wife and I have stayed in 6 different ports all over Michigan since around mid June. Trailering is a breeze behind a Jeep Cherokee and mast raising is a simple process. My wife pulls it up with the vang while I pin the mast and head stay. We are down to less than 45 minutes for take down, slightly more for setting up. The only slowdown....people constantly coming by to compliment on how beautiful the boat is.
We are in northern Michigan, Lake Huron. If it is not too far for you I would gladly arrange a demo.

Ted

Cpy23ecl

Hi Ted,

How did your trip to the North Channel go.  That's definitely an area I'm looking forward to sail in.  Thanks for the info.  We're hoping to take our travel trailer up to Tawas in the next month or so I might try take you up on your offer if things work out.

52 nights on a 23, wow.  That's a small cabin for that length of time although in my younger years I probably would have been willing to do that as well.  Now my knees and back aren't as flexible and the v-berth is tough to navigate.  My first boat (back in 87), a Bayfield 25 wasn't a lot bigger (a foot of the length was a bowsprint) and we spent a lot of time on that boat.

Compacs do tend to draw compliments - I've had many on my 23 as well.

Thanks

Fred

TedW

Fred,
Still no north channel, Canada is closed so we probably won?t make it this year. Had to settle for the Les Cheneaux. Pretty nice sailing area.
Ted

Fastdoc98

Ted - veering off topic but I'd like to hear more about your experience in Les Cheneaux.  Where did you stay, what marina did you use?  I've been scoping that out as a possible destination one day.

TedW

Hi Doc,
We launch at the marina in Hessel. It is the western most town in the Les Cheneaux islands. The ramp is excellent and within the marina so never any problems with winds or current. The staff are friendly, bathrooms clean and they even brush spiders off the docks every morning. (My wife loves that). They allow you to park trailers in their parking lot.  Very convenient. Two restaurants in town, one is actually a culinary school, the other is a bar. Cedarville is about five miles east and the home of a wooden boat building school. You can sail the entire length in a day but there are a few narrow areas so motoring might be necessary. Sight-seeing is great. Lots of interesting homes, islands and bays. Government island is state owned and good for hiking.
Another spot I might recommend is Presque Isle harbor. South of Rogers City. It is more remote but the water is extremely clear. A beautiful small bay and nice marina. You could stop in here on your way to Les Cheneaux.
Good luck,
Ted