a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Midship cleat

Started by ChasRN, June 11, 2020, 08:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChasRN

My Sun Cat came with three cleats (single bow and two stern) and I'd like to add two midship. A quick search of the archives indicates that the location should be with the forward tip of the cleat below the aft end of the porthole. While this seems simple enough, it would be helpful to have a photo of a Sun Cat showing the cleat(s).

A newbie question about installing the cleats: Assume some kind of backing plate is required. Is there access from the cabin to the underside deck area where the cleat will be installed to allow this?

Added questions: Using butyl tape around the fasteners seems to be highly recommended, often in conjunction with potting the holes with epoxy. Is potting a highly suggested step or will butyl tape along with some silicone sealant provide enough protection against water intrusion?

Update: I asked Com Pac about installation and as is always the case, they answered my query promptly. Gerry told me that they do not use backing plates because the outboard bolts go through the deck & hull flange which is thick and strong, and they believe that the deck area for the inboard bolts is also sufficiently strong. He recommended just sealing things up with silicone or any high-quality caulk. Gerry was also kind enough to provide a photo (Com Pac continues t build considerable customer loyalty with this Sun Cat owner). There is relatively easy access from the cabin to the area that the cleat will be installed, though if requires peeling the carpet back a bit.

While it's good to know what the factory does, I think that using a backing plate is cheap insurance. I will take the factory's advice and simply use tape & silicone sealant to button things up however.
Charlie
S/V "Cat-22"