a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Windex mounting

Started by CharlieRN, March 28, 2020, 05:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieRN

Sorry for another newbie question. I did a quick search and didn't find much about Windexes period, much less about the best way to mount one on a Sun Cat. From the limited information I saw, it looks for catboats, the recommendation is to mount the Windex on an arm extending forward from the mast.

Is this correct or can I simply mount it to the top of the mast?

2013 Sun Cat
s/v TBD

Roland of Macatawa

Mine is at the top of the mast, but on an upward extension so that the lines of the peak halyard to the gaff don't hit it.
That clearance is the main reason why you might extend it forward.
2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

DanM

My SunCat came with the windex on the forward-facing arm. I believe it comes as part of the kit with a "Windex Sport". Works well (until you get out on the water, find yourself puzzled about wind direction, and then you realize that the arrow is is bound up in a spider web.)

Gerry

Hunt the internet for an windex with an elastic band to mount near the top of the mast.  Mine does not interfere with the halyards.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

ChasRN

Thanks for the replies. From what I can see, there are few makers of marine wind indicators and only one (Davis) offers them with tracking arms - a feature that as a novice sailor, I find useful. I also ran across several photos of Sun Cats with Windexes mounted on the top of their masts. None of the photos offered any detail, so I can't see if they are mounted directly to the top of the mast or use a spacer that offsets things vertically.

The Davis Windex 10 Sport and the Windex 15 both have adjustable tracking arms and are identical in basic construction. The differences are in their mounting hardware and the bird strike spike on the 15. Davis sells a universal mount kit that fits either model and allows the Windex to extend 13" vertically or horizontally. Davis also sells versions without the tracking arms, one of which, the Horizon, has an adjustable mast clap mount (via elastic bands) and extends the vane horizontally about 12". The Horizon is meant for dinghies like the Lazer and Optimist but I'd think would work just fine on the Sun Cat.

The easy mounting of the Horizon is appealing but since it lacks tracking arms, I think I'm going to go with the 10 Sport and universal mount.
Charlie
S/V "Cat-22"

ChasRN

I have Windex mounting question and am bumping this thread rather than starting a new one,

I overlooked a couple of things related to the windex. For one, my Sun Cat has the electrical package which includes a mast light, precluding mounting the windex at the top of the mast. I think mounting on the front of the mast is my only option, and one that the previous owner used. However, it appears that the PO mounted his windex off center and with the screws not completely snugged, though the mounting seems secure enough.

So remount and center or make do with the existing setup?
Charlie
S/V "Cat-22"

nies

I would use current holes...........or fill old with AL filler and re drill ............vane will be close enough with old holes........can always adjust the wires to compensate if it bothers you..............nies