a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Wind Indicator

Started by crazycarl, May 09, 2020, 01:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

I just ordered this wind indicator off ebay.  I'll report back when it comes in.  If it's anywhere as nice as a Davis, this price is a steal!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282956544726
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Jim in TC

I will be interested in your report. Nicer than my pieces of yarn tied to the shrouds...
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

brackish

Me too, let us know, my three year refit is coming up, mine is missing a reference tab, and the masthead light is not working so mast will come down.  I suspect the wind indicator that is up there has seen just about all the UV it wants, and will need to be replaced.

Finbar Beagle

I still use the Davis wind tell that attaches to the shrouds.  I have since being a kid.  It saves my neck form looking up, and my eyes from starring into the sun.

These are In addition to the masthead.  Yarn is emergency back up, but I like the sensitivity of the wind tells for the windward side.

I am making mental note to pay more attention to masthead.  Old dingy habits die hard.
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

crazycarl

I have 2 Davis windictors, but one is always having to be glued back together.  This larger one will go on the 19 while the Davis from the 19 will go on our 15' sailboat.  The glued back together once again indicator is now doing duty on the shooting "range".
These are quite cheaper than the Davis, so we'll see what I get quality wise. 

Bob23

My Davis parted last summer while docked at the marina and being a cheapskate, I'm sticking with 2 strands of yarn on the upper shrouds of my 23. El cheapo for sure and it gives me an accurate picture of the wind entering the sail. I never did replace my Davis so it's yarn only this year. I was toying with the idea of installing at Tic-tac but the cheap side of me won out. Plus I'm leaning toward more simplicity in sailing, not more gadgets!
Cheers!
bob23

crazycarl

Yarn wouldn't help me, I need the arrow to point me in the right direction or I get lost.  ;)

philb Junkie19

I use ribbons for both relative wind direction and to see if the wind is detaching smoothy on the sail's leach. One is on on a little extension at the upper end of the boat's yard out of the way of the mast and yard. The others are located mid panel on the leach of each of the sail's panels. These are helpful but an indicator like the one Carl shows at the masthead would help me to stay in the groove when sailing to windward using the arms on the V and the swiveling arrow to maintain the boats optimum angle to the wind. As I understand a quick glance and you can tell if you're steering to the best angle. You would use the arrow relative to the V 's arms or better bend the arms to the boars ideal pointing angle. After seeing this post I went back and checked out a wind indicator I'd read about. It was a V made of 1/2 inch plywood attached to the masthead. There is no arrow. The V arms were cut at the boat's tacking angle with ribbons attached at the end of each V arm. When the weather ribbon is trailing in line with the weather arm of the V the boat is on track.

crazycarl

Received the wind indicator this afternoon.  It looks sturdy and just like a Davis.  For less than $20 delivered, it's a great deal.  As you can clearly see in the second picture, there was a swirling wind in my den coming out of the northwest.

Bob23

Yikes! come about, man! You're about to hit that lamp!! Egads!!

Ken J

Lamp may be the least of your problem - it?s all those other sailboats port side !

slode

They all appear to be on port tack.  You're good to go!  Just have that red flag out and ready!
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

crazycarl

I'm bringing her up to ramming speed.  I always wanted a window on that wall!