a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Topping lift

Started by nstolos99@yahoo.com, July 05, 2020, 09:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nstolos99@yahoo.com

I am trying to rig my 1982 ComPac 19 for the first time and I have everything but the topping lift. I see pics of some boats without a topping lift.  I was wondering if it was optional? If not where does it attach to on the mast and what type of cord is it??

Thanks
Nick

wes

Not optional unless you want to install a rigid boom vang, which is a nice upgrade but pretty rare on a 19. You need the topping lift to avoid getting bonked on the head by the boom when you lower the mainsail.

You can use any small diameter line, 1/8" will work fine.

Take a look at the aft end of your masthead. You will see the pin that secures your backstay. Just forward of that (ie. the second set of holes in the masthead counting from aft) will be a jumbo cotter pin. That's what you tie your topping lift to. If the cotter pin is missing, buy one (a small stainless bolt would work too) long enough to pass all the way through both sides of the masthead.

At the bottom end of the topping lift, it's nice to tie two stainless rings onto the line, spaced about 6" apart. Then put a snap shackle on the end of the boom. Clip it to the lower ring when sailing, and the upper ring when you're ready to drop the mainsail. Under sail you want the topping lift slack so the weight of the boom tensions the sail.

I've seen some sailors install a short line and hook midway up their backstay to clip onto the boom when needed, in lieu of a full topping lift. That may explain the boats you've seen that appear not to have a topping lift. I'll defer to others about the details of this approach.
Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Bristol14

My 23 has a cable and clip hanging from my back stay. I also have lazy jacks that act like a topping lift when pulled tight.
Paul

brackish

My 23 also has a short wire with clip swaged to the backstay that can be used to secure the boom at the proper height.  I use it but also added a topping lift.  Because the furling system on my boat did not require a halyard for the headsail, I used the masthead block and all the lead blocks and clutch for the topping lift instead.  That makes it adjustable.  Having a topping lift is better in that sometimes grabbing the boom to clip it to the swaged tang can be difficult when rocking and rolling out there, particularly if you are single handling and having to maintain a position into the wind.  A single ring will work if you have a place to permanently attach to the boom end and a clip or hook point to put the ring in.  The lower adjustment will let you go ahead and drop the sail without having the boom fall into the cockpit, and then when you have more control you can clip the ring for the higher boom height.

I went sailing with a new sailor who had just bought a and old Columbia 7.6 and was asking for help, his boat wasn't doing right.  Initially puzzled by its poor performance, I finally noticed that he had added a topping lift that was too tight and would not let the mainsail freely trim.  You have to have a slack adjustment on it.

Bristol14

I absolutely agree with Brackish?s point about trying to clip the boom to a cable hung from your back stay. It can be tricky and a potential way to fall (overboard) in a choppy or rolling sea. Best to have both. One advantage of a cable hung from the back stay is that combined with tightening up your main sheet, it does a nice job of securing your boom from swinging when on your mooring.
Paul

Bob23

I do exactly the same thing as Brack on my 1985 23. A topping lift is essential, in my most humble opinion. Another nice feature is when you're sailing up to your mooring ball, a quick yank on the topping life will depower the main, allowing time to snag the mooring lines while the boat is comfortably coasting up to her mooring. If you happen to miss the mooring (I've heard rumors that some have) dropping the lift, circling around and allowing the main to fill again will give you another shot!
Cheers!! Bob23...naught under quarantine!