a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Cushions

Started by Bristol14, June 08, 2020, 11:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bristol14

One of my Covid sheltering projects was to sew new exterior cushions for Mudlark. I decided to use 1.25 inch closed cell "gym" foam and Wearthermax 65 Pacific Blue fabric. Of course, first I had to teach myself how to sew. My wife would let me use her machine as she was afraid I'd mess up the tension and/or break her machine with the "tough" fabric. Probably smart on her account...plus she didn't have a walking foot.

My sister, a quilter, lent me her extra sewing machine, a Bernina (she has two) and though it took me several test runs, I was able to sew in almost straight lines. The rectangular cushions were pretty easy, but the longer curved ones were more difficult to sew to fit. I used velcro on the ends instead of zippers to simplify matters.

They're not perfect but very functional and better than loose cushions. The foam is pretty firm but I preferred it that way. I also sewed a tiller cover with extra fabric.

By the way, the foam came from the Foam Factory and the fabric from Seattle Fabrics. Total cost was under $250.
Paul

brackish

Look great!  I've also gone through that teach myself how to sew to make boat stuff.  Not crazy about it, in fact have had the Sunbrella material to make some brightwork covers for about two years, just can't seem to drag that beast out to make them.  But end of summer is three year haulout time and that is when everything gets done.  You know it is pretty bad when you would rather sand and paint the bottom than sew. ;)

PalmettoSailor

Nice looking job!Did the foam come to size or did you need to cut to size? And if you cut, what did you use? Thanks in adv.

Bristol14

I cut the foam myself with an electric (carving) knife. Worked perfectly. I made templates out of cardboard and then traced the shape onto the foam.
Paul