a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Double Reef on a Day Cat with outboard

Started by Sunny Day, April 13, 2020, 10:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunny Day

Previously I had a HC with diesel and am just getting used to this DC with an outboard off the stern.  It makes the boat much more reactive in the puffs, but it does sail better in light airs....always a give a take...

This DC sail only has one row of reef points, does anyone feel that the non diesel boats benefit from having the ability to double reef? 

I have just had one outing in 15-20 - gusts to 25.  three of us and the other two were adventurous types, so no furrowed brows, but I know if I took my gentle wife out in that with only one reef she might not be happy.

any thoughts appreciated..

Cheers,
Steve

2014 DC - Bobbasina

Steve
2015 Sunday Cat

Andre

Hi Steve,

I have an outboard HC and I had a 2nd reef put in after my 1st season (of 3 so far).  About the same depth as the 1st reef.  It makes a pretty dramatic difference.  I sail on a lake which occasionally has very shifty gusts and it really helps to take the edge off when I just want to relax and not have to pay that much attention.

This past summer I was out with 3 crew - a very experienced dinghy sailor, a blue water guy, and my girlfriend who's not a great sailor but a great passenger having gone through the near-sinking of my PC 10 years ago and still enthusiastic!  We were out in what I estimate 25, gusts to 35 (steady direction though) and we all enjoyed it although any more than that and I would've started getting  nervous.

I also have 2 reefs on my PC sail and have been out in 25 or so but that's a fair amount of work - I'm 68 years old - and working upwind is a real slog.

I'd opt to get the 2nd reef, if just to know it's there when you need it!

Andre

Sunny Day

Thanks, I will get that second reefing point installed.

Steve
Steve
2015 Sunday Cat

Andre

If you have any questions or want some pictures let me know.  I set up the reefing line just like the stock 1st reef except I placed the horn cleat way forward on the boom so I could access it from the companionway assuming it would be quite windy when I did it. It's not an ideal setup, especially sailing alone, since I have to go forward to hook the tack in while maintaining some tension on the throat halyard.  A lot of time away from the helm but I deal with it.  If I ever move to bigger waters with bigger waves I'll rethink it.

A lot easier than putting in the 2nd reef on the PC when it starts getting sporty though!

Andre

Joe

I have the inboard but would absolutely recommend a 2nd reef. I had Sperry Sail on the Vineyard do mine. I have found it to be a valuable tool for sailing around Nantucket in variable wind. Also sometimes we just want to go a short distance up harbor for a picnic and are in no particular rush to get there.