a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

mr toad is home

Started by mr toad, April 12, 2007, 05:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr toad

we brought mr toad (com.pac 23/3) home today - getting ready for a cruise on the pamlico sound - do you have suggestion as upgrades i should install to make the little yacht more sea worthy? - all halyards and sheets are being replaced - thanks for your help

thank you very much

rdeal

Paul

Have a great time!  Let us know how your adventure goes.

Cape Lookout is one of my favorite places (from the photo) :)

Where exactly are you sailing on the Pamlico?  Been to Oriental, yet?  Great place to sail.  I met some folks a while back that liked the Pungo River area, too.

Keep us updated and take lots of photos!!

Bob23

Mr. Toad:
   Repairs should be obvious but upgrades? What does the vessel have already? I recently installed a depth sounder in my 23/2 (water up here in Barnegat and Manahawkin Bays is thin) and  installed a GPS that was given to me.
   The first upgrade I did was to install an electric bilge pump which I did in conjuction with the rewiring of the boat. Previous owners work didn't meet my standards, shall we say. I also installed a bigger panel which I put on the aft end of the starboard top shelf. A lot of work, but quite nice now that its done.
   While the boat rested the first winter, I also installed a stationary VHF with antenna mounted on top of the mast. What a job running the cable down but it's done. This year, I put in a remote command-mic for the radio so it can be easily used from the helm. Also installed an anchor light while I was in the mast.
   All this sounds like a lot of work, but I am a self-proclaimed tinkerer!
   Bob

Craig Weis

The radio cable for the antenna, I ran mine down the confines of the length of the mast by just pushing the cable through the mast as my mast sat between the two pulpits for storage. I also wrapped the whole cable's jacket with PVC electrical tape to advert any insulation from be 'banged off ' while slapped around inside the mast...just in case.

I had to remove the mast head casting and drill a hole below the 'skirt' of this casting at the top-O-mast to get the cable out and attached to the bracket and antenna. 

And an exit hole at the base of the mast, but above the mast's step for the 'through the top' of the cabin's long connection fitting [Radio Shack], then down the fwd side of the compression post, under the vee berth and into the storage area then out under the cushion of the quarter berth and up behind the fiberglass interior pc's. [That's what 'XL' means] by the wired switch pan'l. and finally the last drilled hole through the fiberglass interior at the very top and to the back side of my radio set hung in it's bracket secured with the original screws attaching the teak slider to the cabin top [port side] from the inside.

All cable is invisible 'cept back of compression post and about 4 inches behind the radio set. Switch and fuse protected of course. skip...