News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rudder to Motor linkage--anyone done it on an eclipse?

Started by captronr, August 30, 2018, 10:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captronr

If so, would love to see some pics.

I'm tired of the motor chewing at the rudder when I step away from the helm.  I ordered some ball couplers this morning.

My plan is to attach a homemade bracket to the rudder frame (so I'll still be able to lift the tiller without moving the motor), and secure one coupler to it.  Then mount the other to the front of the motor. 

Vertically, I think they can be closely aligned.  Trick will be getting the lenghts correct so both can swing near their full rotation.

Feel free to send me ideas.  THKS.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

slode

Ron,

I have not done this, but had thoughts of it before I found I really don't need to.  I have found that clamping the motor in the straight forward position and using the tiller to steer when motoring along on longer stretches works well. My outboard (6hp Tohatsu) has a screw knob clamp on the pivot that holds it pretty snug (never have to adjust it while underway) and is easy to access.   The rudder and prop don't interfere if the motor is kept straight.   When backing away, or coming into a dock/slip I raise the rudder and steer with the motor.  Again no interference with the rudder up, and no chance of it grounding. 

I've been pleased how well you can control direction forwards and back with just the motor when the rudder is clear of the water.  You can nose into a dock and pull the stern right around with the outboard full turn in the desired direction.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

captronr

Thnks Slode,

When my rudder has hit the prop is when I am motoring and leave the tiller for a couple minutes.  Seems the rudder ends up banging into the prop.   I have purchased a tiller tamer, but haven't had the boat out since installing it.

I also figure it would be easier for the Admiral to steer if the motor and rudder are mated.

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

slode

Ron,

That's interesting.  Because I can turn the rudder hard to starboard and it clears the prop with almost half a foot to spare when the motor is straight forward.  Last weekend we stayed at a slip in a marina for a couple nights and I never found the need to turn the motor when coming in or out.  Just used the rudder as if it were an inboard.  I've never found a need to grab both tillers at the same time.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Jboyette

I installed the linkage on my Eclipse recently.  I had to fabricate a bracket to attach the ball to the tiller and cut the linkage rod shorter.

alsantini

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but CaptRon's post is over 2 years old and he passed away last year.  Not sure how it popped up as a new topic with the change here.   RIP Ron....    Al