a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

SunDay Cat daggerboard penant

Started by Bub, January 18, 2020, 11:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bub

Is the nylon/Dacron Line  that raises and lowers the daggerboard on the SunDay Cat supposed to have a stainless or similar sheave or sleeve to protect the line against fraying by being in direct contact with the daggerboard?

On my boat the line is looped thru the hole in the daggerboard and tied off. No metal shackle or sleeve to protect it.

Many Thanks.

Roland of Macatawa

Bub,

On my SunDayCat the rudder up-haul line connects to the rudder with a so-called halyard shackle with captive quick pin.
Somewhat like this picture:
The upper fixed pin keeps the shackle from slipping off of the loop of the knot in the line.
The lower quick pin connects to the rudder.
Be sure the shackle is wide enough to bridge the rudder plate,
and that the lower shackle length is long enough to reach the rudder pin hole.

Regards, Roland
2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

bruce

Bub, when you say daggerboard are you asking about the centerboard or the rudder? I assumed the former. In either case, a shackle is pretty standard. It's an area obviously prone to chafe, and saving a few bucks would be false economy.

On the rudder, where it can be monitored, and easily reconnected if it opened, a quick-release shackle could be used. Personally, I'd prefer a shackle with a threaded pin. I certainly wouldn't use a quick-release shackle on the centerboard pendant where it couldn't be monitored and accessed easily, and would mouse the shackle pin with monel wire.

Checking the parts list from Com-Pac, I don't see a shackle listed for the rudder or centerboard. My PC had threaded shackle on the centerboard. Low profile, since the trunk is somewhat constricted, and a bulky shackle would be prone to fouling on the trunk or passing debris. I don't recall about the rudder, I replaced the uphaul line early on.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xtfxq40jvl9esw9/AADHttjwMACdw5Voo2NYBoLVa?oref=e&preview=SUN+CAT+DAYSAILER+2018.pdf

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Roland of Macatawa

Bub, Bruce:

I have no idea how, on my SunDayCat, the up-haul line of the centerboard is attached to the centerboard.
Have never been underwater to look at it while the centerboard is lowered. (Perhaps, I should this spring.)
And of course, it is not visible when the centerboard is raised into the shoal keel, and the boat is on the trailer.

However, I recall others, elsewhere in this forum, discussing knot types to quickly attach the line to the centerboard while holding one's breath underwater.
Suggest you search for 'centerboard line' postings. You will find pages of previous postings.
This fairly recent thread, from the Eclipse forum, may be useful:
http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=11384.msg86683#msg86683

Regards, Roland

Bub

Thanks all. Sorry I was not clear that I am talking about the centerboard.
I had a spare shackle handy when the boat was hauled last winter but it did not appear that it would fit flush inside the trunk when the CB was raised into the keel. Since the keel rests on a 2x8 board on my year round lift I did not want to risk damaging the keel, so decided to leave the hardware off until I hauled it again, which is soon.

I just need to find a fitting that will protect the line and reliably slide fully into the keel.
I'll work on this one. ????????????????

bruce

I finally found a couple of photos that should help. It's hard to make out a shackle in the first one, but Tom Ray's photo in the second link shows it clearly. It looks to be the same as the one they used on my PC, a rather pedestrian stamped sheet metal version. The advantage, of course, is that it is low profile. The zincs stick out about 1/4", so there is some room.
http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=8950.msg66468#msg66468
https://forum.trailersailor.com/post.php?id=1390218

Here's my shackle. Searching for flat, screw pin shackles brings up some possibilities, if the one you have doesn't look right. Or a call to Com-Pac. Any threaded pin could be replaced with a suitable machine screw or bolt. A low-profile lock nut would make the pin more secure, since mousing isn't easy, or just peen the end of the bolt over a bit and plan on cutting it off. A new pendant is easily tied on with the shackle in place.

I installed a second small cast shackle at the leading corner by the zinc to attach a lanyard that, in theory, will help me haul the 75 lb. CB out of the trunk in the event we capsize and turtle. Wish me luck with that!
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Bub

Thanks Bruce. A picture is worth 1000 words someone said. And the reminder about the width of the zincs will help me decide what size shackle to have on hand when I pull her. I probably have a half dozen in my ditty bag full of spare junk saved over the last 40 plus years.

Roland of Macatawa

Excellent research, Bruce!

Regards, Roland

Bub

I decided to callGerry Hutchins at ComPac and he was surprised that my boat did not have a protective shackle installed. Hutchins does sell a shackle designed for attaching the pennant and I ordered 2 in case I dropped one overboard. Who would be so stupid as to do THAT?
Anyway after I install it I'll report any problems that may arise.
Thanks to all for your feedback.

Bub

OK. I need to correct my incorrect statement earlier. I recently hauled her and discovered that there IS indeed a protective shackle attached to CB to protect the pennant. There was however a tiny amount of fraying on the line itself where it is threaded thru the stainless shackle. So I installed a stainless thimble inside the pennant to prevent further abrasion of the pennant and create stainless to stainless contact. Might be overkill but I did not want to haul her annually to re inspect.
Ready for spring!!!!!