a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Retractable electric motor

Started by bruce, February 15, 2020, 10:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce

There is an interesting article in the latest issue of Small Craft Advisor, #122, about modifying a Sun Cat to allow a Torqeedo 1003 motor to retract into the hull when not in use.

It required cutting a recess in the hull for the motor bulb and prop, and fabricating the lifting mechanism, no small effort there. It's installed on centerline, so the prop wash flows over the rudder for improved low-speed handling, and there is less drag than with the prop fixed down. Better aesthetics, if you really hate the look of a motor and mount hanging on the transom.

I wouldn't be tempted, but it's fun to see what others have done.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Jim in TC

I will look that one up. Though by the sound if it, there would more to it than I want to tackle. But getting the Torq off the back would be nice!
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

cdflan

If top sailing speed is not an issue, a fixed pod is much easier to install.  Requires mod to the Torqeedo but installation of a fiberglass tube in a hole through cockpit sole and keel is quite easy.  Cutting the 1003 tube is straightforward and a clamp at keel and top of fiberglass tube holds the motor pod in place.  Several options as to how to handle control head.  Impact on sailing speed for my Cruise 4.0 pod with 3 blade prop was between 1/4 and 1/2 knot as best I could measure.  My post on an Electrified Horizon Cat describes the installation which was more elaborate than fitting a 1003.