News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Different centerboard trunk construction - What years?

Started by _JP_, March 04, 2020, 12:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_JP_

I've read about the dreaded leaky centerboard trunk in the earlier Sun Cats, and that the design has changed over the years (3 times?). Current construction is all fiberglass, older is stainless, from what I understand. I also heard Hutchins offers a repair at the factory (~$1600) to fix older models.

I may be in the market for a Sun Cat, and it'd be helpful to know the model years with the different versions of the trunk. I searched and read this forum for a few hours and if this has been covered already, the info must be really buried.

So, does anyone know when Hutchins changed the centerboard trunk designs?

And, for those who've had problems, was your boat trailered or moored? Salt or fresh water? (I'd guess trailered boats are less susceptible to this issue).

Thanks,

Joe
(who should be working on his CP-16 instead of asking about other boat models)
'79 Com-Pac 16 (sold)
'71 O'Day Widgeon (sold)
'70's Vandestadt & McGruer Spindrift 14 (sold)
'80's Hobie 12 (sold)

john day

I talked to Keith Scott@ the sailboat company in Richlands NC by email he knows all models. I have owned 2 Sun cats one with a stainless trunk and currently a 2016 with a fiberglass trunk. I liked both, and both had water in the bilge when I got them.
The boat with the stainless trunk had been resealed,however had bulge water that was frozen solid.The newer boat had bilge water in it long enough to lift the bilge paint. The shop vac made quick work of drying them out.For a boat to be left in the water I would prefer the fiberglass trunk-however I dry sail,from the trailer. It all goes back to cost and condition along with intended purpose.Both Sun cats were well done and had the cooperation of the builder ComPac and dealer Keith Scott. Pre inspection for solid construction and a willingness to reseal suspect components worked for me.
SV/belle  (john) SC-17

CharlieRN

I had the same question when I was considering buying a Sun Cat a few month ago and contacted ComPac about it. They responded the next day as follows:
Quote. . . there has been one major build change since we started the Sun Cat.  I do not have good records of when we made that change but it could have been around 2002.  The first Sun Cats have stainless steel centerboard boxes in them.  Now, that is not a problem as long as the owner takes proper maintenance of it.  If left in the water it can corrode if the zincs are not changed as needed and proper antifouling paint is used.  If the boat has not been left in the water, lived its whole life on a trailer then there is no issue at all.

After those first boats, we went to a fiberglass centerboard box.  The board itself and its subassembly is still stainless steel but it is not as critical that those parts be properly maintained.  A 2013 model will have the newest centerboard procedure that we use, stainless board with a fiberglass box.

I have attached a PDF showing how you can tell the difference.  To be sure, the stainless box is not a disadvantage but you would want to inspect it on a used boat.  The fiberglass box is merely an improvement.
Hope this helps. I tried to attach the referenced pdf but the file size exceeds the max allowed by the site. Be happy to send it via email if you're interested in seeing it - PM me with an address. 

On a related but editorial note, Compac's timely and candid response helped to tip the purchase scales in favor of the Sun Cat. Kudos to Compac Hutchins.
2013 Sun Cat
s/v TBD