a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

SunCat mods

Started by DanM, January 26, 2020, 08:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanM

I wanted to share some pictures of two small bulkhead cabinets that I built and added to our SunCat a couple of years ago. I couldn't manage to post the photos here on the forum, so I put them on my Facebook page in case you are interested: https://www.facebook.com/dan.mehlman

DaveG405

Very nice work, Dan.  You've given me several good ideas.  A couple of questions: Are these fabricated out of Starboard or painted wood?  Is the interior companionway trim just an extra set you ordered from Com-Pac, or did you make those on your own?

Dave Gruendel
Sun Cat "Killdeer"

DanM

Thanks. The shelves are made of 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood. No fancy joinery, I think it's mostly put together with Titebond glue and a pneumatic brad gun. Nice thing about Baltic is you can glue edges. Painted with some interior water base paint.
Re: the trim, we're the second owners. The previous owner was a good woodworker and may have done that trim himself (I recall he said he installed those handles). On the other hand, he ordered this boat tricked out with every available option (except cockpit cushions.) So perhaps he ordered her that way.

5monkeys

DanM,
     Thanks for sharing, These look fantastic!  Our 19 had a catch all bin on the port side, it fell apart last fall, so I have it on my bench to re-build. I had made something similar for the Starboard side, with a swing out arm to hold our depth finder/GPS.  Now I'm thinking we'll go for a complete re-design. This should be a great winter project that I can do with my boys! I've saved the photos.

Keith

Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170