Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Interior rot

Started by davemcg3000, November 25, 2009, 09:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davemcg3000

Hi all

Just purchased a 1979 CP16, and there's rot in the interior woodwork.  A previous owner cut / ripped out part of it, and also ripped out some of the flotation foam.  I'm looking to replace it this winter, and it seems that the easiest way to get to all of it for inspection and work is to separate the hull from the deck.  Having never done this before, I'm a little apprehensive, but I know it can and has been done by others here on this site.  So, I guess I'm looking for some pieces of advice.

Secondly, is it normal to be able to see / feel the concrete ballast, or is there a protective layer that is missing?

The boat sails really well - just a minor leak from the bow eye (probably caused the aforementioned rot) and a small tear in the sails.  The first day I tried out the boat winds were 18-22mph with whitecaps on the lake.  I saw an Oday 19 seriously struggling out there, but the Compac handled beautifully - hardly even keeled at all! 

Thanks
David

davemcg3000

Heeled, Heeled-  I mean heeled, of course

Brian 1851

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the compac forum.  I don't have any experience with interior wood rot but I did work on my bow eye this year.  It wasn't' leaking but a little loose.  I loosened it up from the inside so I could put some caulk in there and tightened it up better than it was before.

nies

Dave, welcome to the forum, most of us are both "keeled" and "heeled", I made a backing plate for the bow eye which I caulked and it never leaked or loosened up again.........forming the plate was interesting to say the least, but fun.......have a great turkey day...........Phil

NateD

Here is a thread where a guy did what you're talking about.

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=1168.0

I haven't done it, so I can't really offer up any advice, but good luck and take some pictures.

davemcg3000

Thanks for the welcomes and the info!!!  I'll be sure to post the work as it happens.

And hopefully can find some other Compacters up here in the PNW - not that I'm complaining about having a unique and handsome boat to show off :)

Thanks again
David

B.Hart

Welcome Dave, It's nice to see all the new owners that are finding this site. Keep us posted of your repair and sailing adventures.     BILL