a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Winded installation

Started by gmerrill, January 01, 2020, 02:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

I've have a radio aboard my boat with an antenna that sticks above the mast preventing a traditional mounting of a windex wind directional. I have look and found some universal mounts. Questions? Who makes best windex? Could I bend my antenna and if so would it still provide the same range. When installing a windex what precautions are take when screwing holes and are installing screws in regard to hit electrical lines inside the mast
Greg

nies

Davis makes Windex.................nies

nies

They have side mounts for antenna.............put windex on top of mast................dull end of screws,its the side threads that hold.....nies

mikehennessy

i used epoxy to mount the Windex to the top of the mast.  Made it through the first season fine.
2018 Sunday Cat "Good Chemistry"

Bramble

I wouldn't bend the antenna.  VHF is line of sight transmission & this could affect your broadcast/reception range.

Your can mount a metal plate (say 1" x 8") extending aft from the top or side of the masthead giving you an offset for mounting the windex.

mike

Gerry

Side mount the windex.  I used elastic, just above the pulley.  Works well.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

brackish

on a 23 but I converted a standard Davis Windex to a side mount.  Added an aluminum plate to the antenna angle bracket long enough to hold the post.  Cut the post off to get below the direction arrow.  Mounted the arrow on the antenna, nylon spacer to get above the masthead light, second spacer above for easy spinning, piece of heat shrink tube to lock it in place.  all works very well.

crazycarl

i used some aluminum angle and strip to mount an anchor light, antenna, and windex.

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Bob23

For my 23, I bolted a piece of hardwood about 10" long to the top of the masthead, facing aft. It's about 1 1/4" wide by 3/8" thick and finished bright. I then simply screwed the Davis windvane base to that. Easy.  Also, about 6 feet up each upper shroud, I tie a piece of yarn around 4" long to see what the wind is doing down low. And yes, red and green. A ball of yard will last me about 5000 years...not a bad investment!

Bob23

gmerrill

Thanks for the advice. Gives me a lot ideas and options
Greg