a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sun Cat vs Eclipse

Started by Brent65, January 16, 2020, 06:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent65

Fellow sailors,  I seem to have narrowed down my next boat purchase to either an Eclipse or a Sun cat.  Can you provide insights as to the differences between these two boats as you see it?  Speed to rig and launch, comfortable seating up and down, simplicity vs complexity, accessibility to the outboard motor, ease of reefing one vs the other, etc.

Sailing size:  Mom, dad and a couple of kids for the day.  Possibly dad and two sons on overnighters.  Mostly day sailing, trailering each time to the lake, then de-rigging and driving home in the evening.  My bias is toward the sloop rigged Eclipse, but I might be overlooking the advantages of the Sun cat.  Do please provide any insights you might have.

Finally, my gripe with the Sun cat is the lack of a nice place to read in the evening down under.  Unlike the Eclipse, there is no backrest for 2 people to lean back against the side of the boat to read or consult the map without the deck hitting you in the back of the head.  Are you Sun cat owners placing a large pillow behind your back when you want to sit down, lean back and read?  Seems uncomfortable to me.  On the Eclipse, there are 2 nice seats to accomplish this body position.  Do please set me straight...

Best,
Brent

jdklaser

Love the Sun Cat.  Perfect line, sails like a cat.  Throw a couple of go anywhere high back seats in the cockpit and I'm good to go.
Ease of rigging.  Designed by the guy who is responsible for more sailboats worldwide, CM  It is a true gunkholer.  If you're going to sail slow, look good doing it and enjoy the ride.  Want more comfort find a shoal draft Freedom 21.