a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Fixed VHF radio location ideas

Started by Bosunmate, February 14, 2020, 07:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bosunmate

I will be buying a fixed VHF/FM radio for my 83 CP19.  I would like to get some ideas on where to install it.  I'm thinking of using the two bolts from the starboard cleat that hang down into the cabin.  They may be long enough to attach some kind extension to hang the radio bracket.  I may have to pull the bolts and put longer ones.

I would love to see some pictures of your radio location.

Getting her ready to sail....

Thanks!

Patrick
Semper Paratus
Patrick
Semper Paratus
S/V "Cajun Belle"
1986 Com-Pac 16/2
Hull No. 2,363

Vipersdad

Have you thought through your antenna installation.  I am planning to be sailing around the Apostle Islands this coming year and want more than just my ICOM hand-held so I will be installing a mast antenna and fixed mount radio in my 19.  I think my hand-held is a Model 36 or 37.

I will probably install this:  "Shakespeare Mariner 4200 3dB antenna for sailboat mastheads and small powerboats."  I am debating about using an ICOM Command Mic so I can operate all the functions from the cockpit.

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Bosunmate

Quote from: Vipersdad on February 15, 2020, 10:03:08 AM
Have you thought through your antenna installation.  I am planning to be sailing around the Apostle Islands this coming year and want more than just my ICOM handheld so I will be installing a mast antenna and fixed mount radio in my 19.  I think my handheld is a Model 36 or 37.

I will probably install this:  "Shakespeare Mariner 4200 3dB antenna for sailboat mastheads and small powerboats."  I am debating about using an ICOM Command Mic so I can operate all the functions from the cockpit.

V.

Vipersdad, that is the same antenna I've been looking at.  I'm thinking of the Icom M330 Compact radio for my fixed unit, my Hand held will most likely be the Standard Horizon HS890.  I like this handheld unit because it has the option of a alkaline battery bank.  I need to research the command mic option also.

I will have to run all new coaxial cable up the mast and into the cabin as well.  I need to brush up on my soldering.  An evaluation of my battery and solar status in store.  I have a 15w solar panel already installed by the previous owner. 

Best Regards

Patrick Matte
Semper Paratus
Patrick
Semper Paratus
S/V "Cajun Belle"
1986 Com-Pac 16/2
Hull No. 2,363

crazycarl

my fixed radio in our 19 is on the starboard side and the same screws that hold the outside cabin top handrails hold the radio to the cabin top.  the antenna wire is run inside the starboard bunk to the mast compression post. (i replaced the round with a square post with a cutout for the antenna and light wires).  the antenna is mounted on the top of the mast.  the "base" radio is only used for long distance.  i have a hand held for boat to boat use in the cockpit.

i have rarely had to use the "base" radio, but it's cheap insurance when far from shore.  mine is also connected to my chartplotter and shows others my location when transmitting.  very handy for emergencies.  you can also register the MMSI through Boat US. 
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Bosunmate

Thanks Crazy Carl,  Good info.  I will also be looking into a Chart Plotter.

Patrick
Patrick
Semper Paratus
S/V "Cajun Belle"
1986 Com-Pac 16/2
Hull No. 2,363

5monkeys

I used some 4200 to glue a scrap of 1"  pvc board to the underside of the deck on the starboard side. You can't really see the pvc as it's mostly hidden by the teak panel, then I used small screws to attach the bracket to the pvc. Nothing That can't be undone if I decide I don't like it.
Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

Bosunmate

Quote from: 5monkeys on February 16, 2020, 11:54:03 PM
I used some 4200 to glue a scrap of 1"  pvc board to the underside of the deck on the starboard side. You can't really see the pvc as it's mostly hidden by the teak panel, then I used small screws to attach the bracket to the pvc. Nothing That can't be undone if I decide I don't like it.

Now that's something to think about.  Thanks!

Patrick
Patrick
Semper Paratus
S/V "Cajun Belle"
1986 Com-Pac 16/2
Hull No. 2,363