Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Interior lighting modifications.

Started by Greg, October 20, 2019, 12:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Pimping my Horizon Cat.
Changed out the single light for two sconce lights with LEDs.
Will add dimmer in the spring.
Along with more mods!
SV Blue Sky, Catalina 34 MKII
SV Sun King, Beneteau First 285
SV In Balance, Catalina 25
SV Puppy, Catalina 22 (my, at the time, toddler son named it)

Jeff

Nice. I've tried replacing the stock light with an LED but at the time the LED's were all too big for the slim space for the bulb. The dimmer is a great idea. Honestly, I use the light when I'm searching for something - the "house lights", and tend to use portable dimmer solar lamps for ambiance lighting and change them on deck by day. Jeff

Greg

I fabed these from some sconce lights I bought at Home Depot. Changed the socket from a G9 (120V) to a G4 to use with a warm white dimmable 12V LED. Had to mod the socket bracket. Replaced the glass diffuser with a mat finish Plexiglas (~ 2mm thick). Sanded the back of the plexi till frosted and used chrome detailing tape on the front as well as used a piece of amber stage light gel for the color. Wound up being about $50 a lamp but I think it turned out well.
FUN!
SV Blue Sky, Catalina 34 MKII
SV Sun King, Beneteau First 285
SV In Balance, Catalina 25
SV Puppy, Catalina 22 (my, at the time, toddler son named it)

brackish

Quote from: Jeff on October 26, 2019, 01:14:53 AM
Nice. I've tried replacing the stock light with an LED but at the time the LED's were all too big for the slim space for the bulb. The dimmer is a great idea. Honestly, I use the light when I'm searching for something - the "house lights", and tend to use portable dimmer solar lamps for ambiance lighting and change them on deck by day. Jeff

Jeff for low level lighting I installed a few small flush mount red LED courtesy lights in the footwell of the cabin and one in each of the cockpit lockers.  They provide plenty of light for getting around in the cabin and to find things in the cabin and lockers.   Additionally they don't ruin your night vision and don't seem to draw bugs when anchored out at night like the normal lights do. I Put them all on a single switch and their draw is so low as to not run down the batteries no matter how long they run.  Only about an inch in diameter and flush mount they aren't a snag hazard.  When at anchor we rarely turn the main cabin lights (all converted to LED) on unless we are reading or cooking.  Biggest challenge, running the wire hidden.