a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Electric Water Pump for Sink

Started by Jeff, October 26, 2019, 01:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Has anyone retrofitted an electric water pump and faucet to replace the manual pump version? I'd be interested in opinions on a recommended brand / model that worked well, any challenges, etc. I see there are RV versions. I'm thinking the pump should be attached to the bulkhead next to the tank... Jeff

Jim in TC

Perhaps relevant: back in the day, when we lived off the grid using mostly 12volt systems, we had plenty of occasion to pump water with small pumps. Our go-to small pump company was Shurflo, located if memory serves in Indiana or Illinois. The pumps were pretty simple, reliable, reasonably energy efficient, to a large extent user-repairable. Customer support, back in those days (we moved to the city in 2009) was remarkable. We worked these pumps WAY harder than the needs of any boat or RV. You may want to consider either a wee pressure tank or make sure to switch power off to the pump when not aboard. Well, the latter is probably only prudent in any case.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

brackish

I retrofitted my 23 to electric when the manual started leaking at the seals and my bursitis got bad enough to hate that up and down motion.  It worked out very well.  I used a Shurflo pump, later added an accumulator for more steady pumping and to lessen cycling. A link to the thread about it. Believe it or not the replacement did not cost much more than repair or replacement of the manual.  Well worth it.  Also added a hose bib for a cockpit shower on the pump circuit. 

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=3459.msg23351#msg23351

Greg

My HC has a factory installed electric pump (45psi) for the sink. The pump is located under the starboard settee access panel behind the water tank (side mounted to the engine area bulkhead). The original owner had the boat customized in the head area to add a hand held shower so no cabinetry was installed. I actually like it this way. More room for storage by hanging things off the horizontal teak slats, and washable. However, I'm not showering in the head so I am going to move the shower to a quick connect on the sidewall under the steering box. Rinse after a swim, wash off the cockpit area.
SV Blue Sky, Catalina 34 MKII
SV Sun King, Beneteau First 285
SV In Balance, Catalina 25
SV Puppy, Catalina 22 (my, at the time, toddler son named it)