a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

converting CP23 TO CP23D

Started by dreamchaser, September 14, 2004, 05:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamchaser

I'm Dreamchaser, new to the forum, has anyone have any info for making this change. I know the engine is a Yanmar one lunger, havent been able to find a source on line. A used one and gear from another boat would work. I'll consider a new one also. Any help would be appreciated.

My other hobby is building custom motorcycles & trikes, so I have mechanical expertise and equipment, also fiberglas work to install the the prop shaft & stuffing box.  THANKS.

jaguaretype

The original diesel on a 23 D is a Yanmar 1GM10.  If you obtain an engine and are ready to begin installation, let me know and I'll send pictures of my installed engine.  Besides the engine, obviously you'll also need the remote control head with the gearbox control slide and an instrument panel with tachometer, starter switch, water temperature, oil pressure, and battery charging lights/guages.  It will probably be less expensive to sell your current 23 and buy a 23 D than to retrofit an engine.  I paid $11,000 for my 1990 23 D in July 04 in original "Bristol" condition (plus another $1,500 for the trailer), and a 1990 23 in similar condition would probably run about $7,000 (excluding trailer).  This suggests a differential in price between a used 23 and 23 D of about $4,000.  Jay, 1990 23D 'Fabi'

CaptK

Hi dreamchaser -

The diesel in my 23 is a retrofit, made by Keith Scott, the NC CP dealer. It is a Universal M2-12, 2 cyl, 12hp that originally was in a CP27. If you look on the MarineDieselDirect website - they have lots of info there on this engine and others.

One thing I would recommend you look in to - Beta Marine engines. I know a few people with them, they like them a lot, and they seem to be designed well. All the maintenance stuff has been moved to the front of the engine for quick, easy access - which is good idea, as I can attest to, having been changing the pencil zinks in my heat exchanger at the *back* of the engine just yesterday... :)

If you look around the web, you'll find some sites of people that have done diesel installs into other types of boats - some of these sites are quite good.

Glad to have you with us!
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...