a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Raising the boom on a PC

Started by glenn1489, September 13, 2019, 11:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn1489

When I am motoring with the sail down and cover in place, forward visibility is very poor without standing up. Normally when I drop the sail, I lower it under the hinge. Is there any reason why I can't leave the boom at its uppermost position (above the hinge), so I can see underneath it (like when sailing)? Would I also need some type of topping lift or lazy jack rigging to hold up the aft end as well, or is it okay to let it just rest (at a downward angle) on the gallows? I'd like to keep this as simple as possible Thanks in advance for any suggestions or similar experience.
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA

slode

On my Eclipse I keep the boom above the hinge when dropping sail for motoring, breaks, overnight at anchor, etc.  I use a sail track stop.  You can even lift the mast end up and set it well above where it would be with the sail up to improve head clearance and visibility.  The boom and sail still clear below the hinge with everything dropped all the way down on the stub with the stop below the boom.  I would assume same could be done on the PC.

"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

glenn1489

Interesting piece of hardware - I've never seen one of those. The PC has a pin which would keep the boom in its normal sailing position (but the stop would help place it even higher). Any concerns about the boom being angled downward?
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA

mikehennessy

With my Sundaycat, I take the sail cover off, tighten the lazy jacks and tighten the main sheet to keep the boom within the cockpit when I motor out.  The boom end is about 3 inches above the crutch.  The boom shackle is close to the hinge (sometimes above or below depending on how tight the lazy jacks).  When ready to hoist, just turn upwind, raise the sail and gaff then tighten the luff down haul (cunningham). 

The only issue is occasionally the sail catches on the hinge hardware on way up so I need to move forward to release. 

2018 Sunday Cat "Good Chemistry"

slode

I haven't had any issues with setting the mast end of the boom a bit higher than the gallows end.  Probably don't get too crazy and set it 1/4 way up the mast, but a few degrees past horizonal isn't going to harm anything.  As long as the goose neck isn't binding it should be fine.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

bruce

I agree, I see no problem with keeping the boom gooseneck high, and having the aft end on the gallows. Mike has his lazy jacks tighter than I do, with the sheet released our boom hovers an inch or two above the gallows. With the sail raised, I don't need to adjust the lazy jacks, they don't crease the sail.

You can use the long pin, just don't forget to remove it and slide the goosenecks down onto the mast stub before you lower the mast. Alternatively, with your sail tie in place, effectively holding the boom to the gaff, you can use the throat, and peak halyards, to raise the bundle. Then first photo shows a PC with the boom set high for the bimini, but something similar could be done to provide better visibility from the cockpit. The boom downhaul on the PC is made up to a horn cleat, adjustable, but not as readily so as with the SC, which has a Spinlock cam cleat. I leave my boom downhaul set, and adjust luff tension with the throat halyard. But you could back off on the boom downhaul routinely if you wanted to. I'd upgrade the cleat if you went that route.

A sail track stop could be useful, but another thing to remember to reset it before you lower the mast. Damage to the sail track is very common, and something you want to avoid.

I stand so I have better visibility when piloting in the harbor. I've hinged my tiller so it's easy to reach.

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Jon898

Couple of takes on this:

1.  Don't motor with the sail cover on.  Ever though what you would do if the motor conks out?  You're in a sailboat, treat it as such.

2.  If you want more visibility, as Bruce suggests use the throat and peak halyards in conjunction with the sail ties.

3.  I would not recommend using a stop or the long pin to hold everything above the hinge...ever wonder why so many old sailtracks are damaged on the Mastendr boats?  It may not happen immediately, but one day you're going to start to lower the mast with the stop or pin in place.

Jon

glenn1489

Great suggestions! Thanks everyone for the input. Bruce, I'm intrigued by your hinged tiller. I'll start a new thread on that.
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA