a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Errors Compounded, Fix Accomplished, Lesson Learned

Started by DanM, September 22, 2019, 06:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanM

Our SunCat is on a mooring- in shallow, weedy water. Recently, as I motored up to the mooring ball, I felt the boat slow down in the weeds (even more than usual.) Duh, I had forgotten to raise the centerboard when I started motoring. So now I pull up the centerboard, apparently dragging weeds with it and packing them into the centerboard trunk. After this, whenever I pulled up the centerboard, I could feel/hear a soft THUD rather than the usual CLUNK. I knew what had happened- there was an unknown quantity of weeds packed in the trunk. Later, as I thought about it, I realized that if the board could not be fully retracted, whatever stuck out would bear the weight of the boat on the trailer. Something would be destroyed for sure. So today, my wife and I motored over to just off a sandy beach and anchored. An exquisite, bright,  hot, Indian Summer day on Saratoga Lake. The CB was raised as far as possible. With mask & snorkel, I swam under the boat and saw that the board did indeed stick out almost an inch. Fortunately, I had made a tool- simply a piece of 1/8' steel rod with a 90 degree hook on the end. In two quick swims, I managed to pull out about 4 or 5 big wads of plant life. So satisfying to hear the old CLUNK again! In the future, I'll try to remember to raise the darn centerboard..... (but I'm keeping the hook on board!) 

mikehennessy

The joys of Saratoga Lake - floss often (clean the rudder) during races.
2018 Sunday Cat "Good Chemistry"

bruce

Here's something that's worked to free a CB that was stuck with a barnacle(s) on a PC. Different from what Dan faced, but another DIY tool that could be worth having on board, so I'll mention it here. No dive required in this case.

Under the CB clam cleat there is a 1/2" tube, welded to the SS trunk on the PC. I peened a flat on the end of 1/4"steel rod and cut a notch to engage the CB. Not required of course, but it is nice if it keys on the CB edge. I cut the rod to length, and inserted it down the tube. The pendant didn't interfere. Once I could feel the CB, a few taps of a hammer was enough to get the board down.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI