a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

I'm astounded by Cooler Shocks

Started by brackish, September 25, 2019, 05:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

When I built my custom cooler in a drawer I did not put a drain in it, not wanting to drain to the bilge and figuring I could just use a big sponge to get the water out.  But I did a search for alternatives and came up with Cooler Shocks.  Bought three pack of 10" x 14

https://coolershock.com/product/3-cooler-shock-large-dry-10-x-14-dry-packs-add-water/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwoKzsBRC5ARIsAITcwXEI-o0xfPmI7WH5g3tCP8lAPl8RqAKyviOYlDZbgWW5zdAdfIbLDE8aArwREALw_wcB

Did an overnight trip this week, took two of the cooler shocks in a transfer ice chest, put food for three meals, drinks and a gallon ziplock bag of ice for drinks.  Put it in at 10 AM, left to drive to the boat about 1:30 PM transfered it to the on board cooler which was hot when i put it in.  Went out for the overnight, high 87F, overnight low 64F.  In the process of making drinks, fixing meals probably opened the cooler 20 times.  Came back in about 10 AM this morning, transfered all the leftover stuff and the cooler shocks to the transfer ice chest which was hot from sitting in the truck.  Drove it all home and emptied it at about 11:30 AM.  The cooler shock pads were still frozen completely solid.  The zip lock of ice cubes that were left over were still frozen with about a few tablespoons of melted water.  I am astounded.

The only thing you have to be careful about is freezing things in contact that you don't want frozen.  I had thawed some steaks out and put them on a rack an inch above the cooler shock.  The bottom edge froze and I had to sit them out for a half hour before I could grill them. 

crazycarl

those look cool, i'll have to try them. thanks for the info!
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Bob23

I expected shock absorbers for my cooler...

kahpho

... so your beer doesn't get shaken up?
'07 Legacy "Amphibian"

Bob23

You know it! PBR deserves a smooth ride!

Bramble

unless you prefer your beverage "shaken, not stirred"