a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

clr stormthe

Started by kickingbug1, July 21, 2019, 05:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

first, let me say I take full responsibility for Wednesday. I should have designated someone with a good weather app as the "weather guy". I thank god no one had any serious problem. sorry about the leg Chris. you the man. I think we all learned a lot, I know I did. I found out that my crew, bless her heart, did not panic and was calm the whole time. I, on the other hand used all of my "cussing" talent. I learned that my boat, although not a com-pac, held her own in tough conditions, reported to be 45mph sustained and 56mph gusts. anyway I couldn't have been more relieved to hear that everyone was safe. many lessons learned
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Christopher

It was a memorable experience.  I was curious about what it would be like in a storm and how I would react and now I know.  The leg wound is looking good now and is fully scabbed over.  FYI it was just a gouge with no stitches required.  I'm heading up to Lake Erie later week to sail and bike (Kelley, South Bass and Middle Bass) islands.  The weather is suppose to be great and the wind should be good too.  If anybody wants to meet up there let me know.
  I'll wear a waterproof band-aid on the wound to prevent that flesh eating bacteria and algae scum from killing me when I'm swimming there. 

alsantini

Steve:  There is no way in hell that you should be taking responsibility for the weather!  And, remember what's his name was in his boat looking at the weather all the time.  Only after Chris approached him did he say there is a storm coming?  Really.  If I had to do it over again, I would have gone into Matt's harbor but not knowing the lake was my downfall.  Once it was about ready to hit, I think I did the prudent thing.  With bare poles I clipped in, crawled forward, set the anchor with 100 feet of rode, crawled back, locked the tiller straight ahead, and went into the cabin.  In the cabin I kept my eye on my chart plotter to make sure the anchor held and listened to my weather radio while keeping watch out the side ports.  I have had complete confidence in my boat and proved it in the storm.
You and Sarah need to be complimented on how the whole week went.  I wish Capt Ron (Eclipse owner from Kansas) had been able to attend prior to his death.  He talked for 4 years about attending but never made it and now it is too late.  RIP

kickingbug1

al, it was our pleasure to have you in attendance this year.iwe learned a lot in the storm although it was a bit of a nail biter. I read your book and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I have to say it didnt  instill confidence in our federal government. anyway thanks again for coming down and we hope to see carol next year.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

alsantini

If Carol had been there, it would definitely be the last time on my boat.  LOL  She does not like to heel and the wind and waves would have done her in.  I will make it next year and looking forward to it.  Leaving for FL this Tuesday towing Off the Wind.  We both need a little salt water and sun....