a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Live aboards

Started by Easy Living, June 14, 2019, 07:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easy Living

Is there anyone out there living aboard their Com Pac 27-2 boats?  I am considering part time status on the gulf coast.  What do you think about the ability to be comfortable on  this boat?
Red Knot

bobbar

Hi,
I lived aboard my ComPac 27 full time for 3 years. Found it very doable. Of course it was just myself and a small dog. I added a dual voltage refrigerator that fit under the fold down table. It did reduce floor space but was very much a good addition. If you are not claustrophobic it is quite comfortable.

Bob
Pooka CP 27

Easy Living

What pp% of it was in a marina and what altered your lifestyle?

wes

I have not lived aboard full time, but have spent many nights and weekends on board and just did a month-long cruise on the ICW with my wife. The 27 is amazingly comfortable, but as you know 27' is on the very low end of a liveaboard boat. I think the "pinch points" are:

1. Galley size. Although the Origo alcohol stove works amazingly well, the (very) limited counter space, tiny sink, and awkward icebox access get old fast. I added a flip-up work surface to the right of the stove to prepare food and dry dishes. But still.

2. Lack of oven (or microwave). Cooking on two alcohol burners works ok for short periods but I'm seriously considering shoehorning in a microwave somehow. This would help a lot, at least when shore power is available.

3. Lack of a real shower compartment. I solve this by spending most nights at marinas that have shower facilities. At anchor in hot weather I'd wash off in the cockpit. Using the hand held sprayer in the head would be my last choice. And I hate that the floor drain flows into the bilge.

4. Lack of air conditioning. I live in North Carolina where summers are blazing hot and humid. I've rigged a 5000 btu window air conditioner in a drop board for the companionway. Cools the boat well but it's a pain climbing over it. If I were living aboard I'd seriously consider installing a proper marine air conditioner with reverse cycle heat.

As long as you anticipate these things, I think the 27 could work very well for you. The cabin is amazingly cozy, elegant and comfortable - truly a tiny yacht.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

relamb

I've lived on mine for a month to 6 weeks several times, but most of that is at a marina.  I've never used the alcohol stove ever, I use a propane burner outside or inside depending on the weather.  I converted the icebox to refrigeration.  I use an window A/C in the companionway when it's really hot, and leave it in the dockbox when I go sailing.   When not in the marina I take ice, don't use the A/C, and just don't take showers.   The biggest issue when the wife joins me, is space for clothes and things.  I keep two weeks worth of my clothing on board so I don't have to do laundry that often.  It would be fine for one person, a little cramped for two.  Although twice I've had 5 on board for a week.  My sons and friends from college on Spring and Christmas Break.   
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN