a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Introduction

Started by 16sailor, September 27, 2019, 07:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

16sailor

Hello...  Wanted to introduce myself to the group as i am new to the forum and sailing in general.  I recently became the proud owner of 1976 compac 16 which i have managed to sail six or eight times but am now dedicating a bit of time to some much needed repairs which brings me to a few questions...  It appears to me through research on this forum that the mast step is generally fastened directly to the compression post but mine is not i would also assume this to be the source of the stress cracks in the gelcoat in the maststep area?  I would appreciate any info on the correct length for the compression post as well.  Some people mention two fasteners holding the compression post to the bulkhead but mine appears to only have one is this a problem?  Finally since this bulkhead transfers the load of the mast to the keel in a roundabout way shouldnt this bulkhead be a tight fit to the hull?  I was recently removing my rotten bunks and the visible portion of this bulkhead which upon closer inspection i plan to replace anyway was floating above the hull rather than being a tight fit as i expected...  Thanks
                             Chris

Bramble

Chris,
I have a 1976 C-16.  These have a plywood core on the cabin roof, which in boats of these vintages, has deteriorated (rotted).
That would be the source of the cracks in the gelcoat.  The real fix is to remove the top half of the boat, flip it and repair the cabin roof.  I'm not there yet.
The compression post should transfer the weight of the mast directly to the keel.  The mast step should be attached by screws that are designed to pull out of the fiberglass in case of a de-masting.
It is a good boat & you will have a great time with it.

a source of information is
https://www.google.com/search?q=the+sailboat+company&oq=the+&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i60l2j69i65l3.4047j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Keith knows Com-Pacs & has a lot of information on the sight.

Sail on
Have fun

mike