a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

new guy

Started by wxman, March 27, 2007, 10:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wxman

Just wondering if anyone is getting this.  I am newly registered.  My wife and I sail a com-pac 23 in northern Lake Huron and wondered if anyone else is in the area.

Craig Weis

Hello new guy, I only sail in Green Bay and Lake Michigan in my C-P 19. Skip.
Welcome to this site...post a pic.

mr toad

welcome to the site

i sail in the piedmont of north carolina

rdeal

mrtoad 23/3

rmonsma

Welcome to the site.

I sail  a 1993 ComPac 23-3 out of South Haven, Michigan (S.W Michigan). 

Are you a Michigander or one of our Canadian friends to the north?

Roger

wxman

Hi Roger,  Thanks for the reply.  My wife and I kept our boat in St. Ignace the past 2 years.  We'll be in Tawas this summer.  Not as many nice places to sail to but the bay is pretty nice.  How do you feel about your 23 in the "big lake".  We are kind of new to sailing and have been very careful about getting out and scaring ourselves.  I have learned one thing.  We are buying a smaller jib prior to this summer.  But we do love our boat and are looking forward to getting her out in a few weeks.      Thanks.  Ted.

rmonsma

Ted,

I'm afraid I can't give input yet on how my 23 does on the "big lake" as I only purchased her late last fall.  I have sailed a lot on Lake Michigan since I was a boy.  My dad's first boat was a 28 foot sloop.  Although the boat was a bit longer, she had a tall rig which made her  a bit on the tender side and there were no life lines.  We sailed this boat in conditions that many would think was too rough but we never had any problems.  The boat was always under control, not over stressed and quite frankly these were the most fun times we had.  I expect my Com-Pac 23 will do just fine.

The greatest cause of problems on big water stem from two things:

Equipment failure

Operator stupidity or poor judgment

In high wind and wave conditions the boat, especially the rigging is put under considerable stress and if something breaks it can set off a chain reaction that can be serious.  Being able to reduce sail relieves most of this.  I've read a lot about how owners of Com-Pac 23s who sail in windy conditions set up their main to double reef and they get a small jib. 

So check your boat over, and replace or repair broken and worn items. 

Good judgment is another matter.    Experience is important.  Work into higher wind and wave conditions gradually.  Most sailors learn to "read" their boat and can tell when they've crossed over into a dangerous situation.  No boat can handle everything so learning the limits of your boat and your own ability is critical.  "Better safe than sorry" is a good motto. 

Some people say say that the great lakes can change instantly.  Although weather can be fickle you normally have time to get into a harbor or at least shorten sail to prepare.

I'm not suggesting that a Com-Pac 23 can handle anything the Great Lakes can dish out just that a properly reefed boat in good condition, sailed by an experienced sailor with good judgment can handle the great lakes nicely.

Good luck!

Roger