a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

peak halyard as a topping lift

Started by Shannonpn, June 29, 2019, 04:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shannonpn

I was reading on the picnic cat forum where an individual uses a peak halyard as a topping lift for shade and bimini.  I would assume then that this could also be utilized on a Sun Cat in order to provide a bit more headroom under the boom when anchored?

I haven't been able to get out in the driveway to try this and the boat is new to me.  Managed to get out five times so far and am learning more on each outing.  I would prefer to keep things simple at this point in time. I do not have lazy jacks or topping lift and so far so good....so any reason not to use peak halyard as a topping lift solely for lounging purposes? Anyone use this method currently?

bruce

I'll post the photo here so it's easy to find.

I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work. It looks like he uses the long pin to hold the throat down. The peak halyard is well forward of the balance point, and he's tensioned the sheet as well, to steady it in the wind. I think he rigs it that high for headroom forward.

He's an experienced sailor, and a minimalist on his PC. Never saw a need for lazy jacks or a topping lift.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Shannonpn

Ok thanks Bruce. I went ahead and tried it in the driveway and no issues.  I am actually quite pleased as it serves my purpose while keeping it simple. Makes the cockpit feel much bigger. Always good to get advice from those with experience.

Peter