a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Positioning of sail cover

Started by glenn1489, September 04, 2019, 06:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn1489

I just bought a 2016 PC on Cape Cod, and have a question about the sail cover. With the mast up, can anyone describe or post some pictures of how the sail cover should be fastened at the aft end of the boat. Should the final buckle go aft of the boom gallows? Should the lacing go under the gallows to hold the boom in it in place? The way I have it doesn't seem like a neat fit.
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA

bruce

Congrats on your new PC. Always fun to share notes on how we set up our boats.

We trailer full time, so the mast is down, but I'd clip the sail cover on the same way with the mast up. I clip the last snap buckle aft of the gallows. Even with the mast down, the cover is a loose fit. Nothing tailored about it.

I'm not sure what lacing you are referring to. I bought my boat new in 2010, and Com-Pac did deliver it with a piece of headliner, secured with a short length of line, wrapped around the spars where they bear on the gallows to prevent chafe. I've continued to pad the spars this way, and slip a beer koozie over the end of the gaff to protect the sail when trailering. Perhaps the lacing is the sail tie. I wouldn't wrap that around the gallows. I do use a Starbrite Sail Lash Centipede as a sail tie, that I like. The only thing holding the sail bundle down on the gallows is the sheet, that I snug up for that purpose.

In the first photo, you can make out the headliner padding. (I was preparing to slide the boat back on the trailer so I could drop the CB for maintenance.)

We only travel a couple of miles to the ramp, on back roads. If we were going to travel at highway speeds, I'd wrap the sail bundle with stretch wrap to keep the flogging under control.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

glenn1489

Thanks Bruce! The Centipede looks like a great idea -- my current sail ties are pretty old & worn anyway. I think the "lacing" I have is just an old shoelace that was tied to the aft sail cover grommet. It doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose. I also like your koozie idea.  Thanks again!
Glenn
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA