a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

windex 10 sport installation

Started by Shannonpn, August 13, 2019, 01:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shannonpn

Looks straight forward to install, just wondering if people install on side of mast or front as doesn't appear to be room on very top with masthead light. Oh and what angle? Manual says choices are: 55° for boats with good windward performance 60° for normal ocean racers
65° for normal day cruisers

thanks.

Roland of Macatawa

I have a Windex10 mounted onto the front of the top of the mast of my SunDayCat.
Clearance from the peak halyard lines is a problem, if you have the 3:1 configuration as I have.
I extended the shaft of the Windex about 6 inches.
Because of the clearance issue, I do not use the indicating tabs, but find the pointer valuable.

Regards, Roland

2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

Shannonpn

Thanks Roland. My Sun Cat is a 2009 where the halyard does not run to the peak so I should be ok clearance wise. I will install on front of top of mast. 

slode

As for the tabs I would recommend a little trial and error. Go out and test your boat with the windex up to see how close to the wind, and far off the wind you can sail and adjust the tabs accordingly. 

I find them more useful downwind than up.  When beating it's pretty easy to tell when you are at the edge of pointing too close, I find it best to steer by feel and the tell tales vs. the Windex.  But downwind without a spinnaker there is a fine line, at least on my boat, between going fast and running too deep to get any speed.  To make the best VMG in moderate winds I cant sail much deeper than 40-45 degrees off true down wind.  Keeping the point of the windex over the tabs keeps her in the groove. 

"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

5monkeys

I'm curious about this, do you trailer sail? How does the windex hold up to stepping and un-stepping and also transporting..I assume highway speeds aren't friendly to the windex. I'd love to know what the wind is doing..but hate the idea of adding extra steps to launch and retrieve.
Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170

slode

I do trailer sail.  I have a Windex 15 though.  I take it off when trailering. The mount stays put but the rod and indicator come off.  it's a simple flathead screw driver install/removal.  I don't usually put it on for a quick day sail, but for longer outings it's worth the 20-30 seconds to put it on.  It's remembering to install before stepping the mast that's the hard part.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

mikehennessy

I use a Windex on my Sunday Cat.  It is epoxied to the top of the mast.  The set screw was replaced with a wide top screw which is easily removed with no tools.  Have a spare on board in case I drop and lose. Trailer sail so take Windex off after each sail.

My angle is probably 50 deg.  Use is as a guide versus absolute.  Use telltales and sail shape as much as the Windex.  Added telltales to side stays and use them mostly.  Windex is mostly used if I have a novice on the helm and I want to keep them safe (especially to avoid accidental gybe).
2018 Sunday Cat "Good Chemistry"

DanM

I have the Windex 10 on my SunCat. The boat came with it set up on the horizontal extension that puts it about 8" forward of the tip of the mast. It's attached by two aluminum angles, which I think come with the kit. I take it off when trailering. Last week I was out sailing in light air and I kept making mistakes about wind direction, even had an unintentional jibe. Finally I realized the windex wasn't moving more than 10 or 20 degrees. I was mystified, what could break on a windex that would jam it up like that? Then I was in a position that the light hit it just right and I saw that it was being restrained by a spider web, the wind too light to break it free! It was a good warning that I was being over-reliant on the windex. Good to practice sailing without it.

Roland of Macatawa

Slode,
I like your observation about watching the Windex point relative to the Windex tabs for sailing downwind.
Had never occurred to me. I have just watched the angle of the sail relative to the Windex vane.
Regards, Roland

Quote from: slode on August 13, 2019, 03:42:15 PM
As for the tabs I would recommend a little trial and error. Go out and test your boat with the windex up to see how close to the wind, and far off the wind you can sail and adjust the tabs accordingly. 

I find them more useful downwind than up.  When beating it's pretty easy to tell when you are at the edge of pointing too close, I find it best to steer by feel and the tell tales vs. the Windex.  But downwind without a spinnaker there is a fine line, at least on my boat, between going fast and running too deep to get any speed.  To make the best VMG in moderate winds I cant sail much deeper than 40-45 degrees off true down wind.  Keeping the point of the windex over the tabs keeps her in the groove.
2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

Shannonpn

Installed and very pleased with it. As mentioned it is quick to install/remove as I trailer...Bought the sun cat in April and due to a fantastic summer here in the maritimes we have been out over twenty times.  Lots of fun and very happy with the boat.  Have been reading The Competetive Cat and learning lots.  I was able to take my 81 year old father out for a sail the other day and it was quite a nice, memorable time as we hadn't sailed together in probably twenty years...he looked thirty years younger...I notice a pattern that whenever I launch there is always someone who compliments the boat and then says they wish they could go into the shallow water as well as trailer to different areas, which they can't do with big keel boats...I am still working so being able to be sail in Cape Breton, and the rest of the maritimes in one summer is great...we have family in Newfoundland so looking to trailer and sail over their during iceberg season next June...from a safe distance!  Thanks for your help.

Peter