a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What Sail?

Started by Jasmid53, July 25, 2019, 02:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasmid53

I'm trying to order a sail kit from Sailrite and they have asked me if I want the same size that I had on it or a larger sail. I don't know how to answer this as I only used my current genoa a couple of times. Where I sail the winds seem to follow the pattern of, calm in the morning and windy with strong gust in the afternoon. My current sail's dimensions are: leach 18'-5', luff 20'-2", foot 11'-3'. The luff perpendicular is 10'-5". So what do you guys have for a headsail and what your opinion on the matter?

jdklaser

Have you talked with the folks at Intensity.  They are in your area.  greats sails even better prices   

crazycarl

sounds like you would benefit from installing a CDI FF2 Roller Furler/Reefer.

we have a 155% genoa on 19.  if it's too windy just pull it in to reduce sail.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Jasmid53

I have a snap-furl by Schaefer Marine on my boat. I always thought I had a 155 genoa till the guy from Sailrite asked if I wanted to go bigger. I sent him some additional boat measurements and he will get back to me as to how large a sail I can go with.

I have not talked to Intensity, nor have I heard of them. I am definitely going to be sewing my own sail as I have a lot of time invested learning how to sew and have spent enough money on sewing equipment. I have a couple of other sewing projects going on right now: junk sail for a Mirror dinghy. And I can think of other future projects that will be nice to do later on. I will look up Intensity and thank you for your suggestion.

AirborneJarhead

I would add that the weight of the fabric should also be a factor in which way you choose to go. If you sail in heavier winds more often than not, than a 155 of a lighter weight would not be ideal.
Cheers!
Rick
s/v Little Wing
Compac 16/1
Charlotte, NC

Jasmid53

Received my sail on August 1st. My first impressions are very favorable. Last night I started basting the seams together to prep for sewing. Today I am going to practice sewing seams on a large scrap of cloth that came with the kit. I'll start a new post in the DYI section as I progress.