a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Portlight Leak Fix

Started by slode, June 05, 2019, 08:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slode

I have read at least a couple past posts about people having water leaking through the Eclipse portlights.  I too had this problem during a big rain storm Memorial Day Weekend.  It may have happened much earlier but Sylvia spends all her time in the garage unless traveling to or being on the water so she doesn't see all that much rain, at least not the hard driving kind.

When I went to inspect the gaskets and latches closer I noticed a small screw in the middle of each latch.  I removed a latch and realized that screw went all the way through to the other side.  I grabbed a small flathead screw driver and gave it a couple turns clockwise and sure enough it protruded out.  Tada!  An adjustment screw to adjust compression of the window on the gasket.  I checked that all the gaskets were clean and pliable and they appeared in good condition.  So I went around adjusting all the screws out about 1.5 turns.  There were a couple that would not go clockwise that I had to back out all the way, run in a 8-32 tap to chase the threads at the far end (a steel screw would probably do the job), and then put the plastic screw back through.  When closing the window I found it best to push the window in tight with your hand before swinging each latch in place, that avoided any damage or wear to the ends of the little plastic adjustment screws.

A quick test with a garden hose showed no signs of leaking.  A simple and cheap fix! 
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

alsantini

Wonderful information.  Thanks.  I NEED to adjust since I have one (rear port side) that will consistently put water into the quarter berth storage.
Another bit of useful information.  If you close but not latch the port front window water will fill up the under sink storage.  No need to wonder how I know this.....  and it has been raining here in northern Illinois.   Al

slode

Yes, I too had about a cup of water inside the storage area under both the sink and starboard compartment.  My tool bag got soaked and I didn't notice it for a few days.  Needless to say my adj wrench and screw drivers were a bit rusty and needed a good brush down and soak in oil.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

alsantini

A cup would have been OK.  I had over a gallon!  I think the locks are tight and I see an impression on the new gaskets that I put in 2 years ago.  I need to remove the bezel so I can see if anything is leaking past the frame.  Thanks again.  I will document everything....  Note to self - close and lock side windows.