a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

teak restoration

Started by charlotteopal, April 17, 2007, 09:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlotteopal

Has anyone used "TeakGuard" on badly weathered teak?  What were the results and how long did it last?  Just bought a CP 27 with untreated teak for the past 18 years.

spaul

Hi Charlotte,
No I have not used Teak Guard products. I've used about everything else on my cp27 and am currently running an experiment that appears to be working well. My system is a lot of trouble but here's what I've done.
I removed most of the teak that was easy and used teak cleaner and a light sanding to restore the teak, note do not scrub with bristles or it will leach out the soft grain and leave your teak very weathered looking. If it's that old there may not be a choice however.
I then used a two part clear epoxy coating putting on a first layer to soak in, then a second and a third layer with a very light sanding in between. I then finished with 4-5 coats of Cetol Marine. So far the parts I've done look good after one WInter and one summer uncovered. Now the coaming boards are stuck down with 3m 5200 and will not come off so any work on those will be on the boat of course. I'm using the Interlux stripper that's ok for fiberglass and it works ok but don't do it in the Sun as it evaporates too fast.
That's my story after many years of cleaning and scrubbing and then varnish and so it goes. I'm beginning to think Plas-Teak or Trex decking lumber may be in my future if this experiment doesn't work out. When I picked up my cp27 ('92 version) a fellow with a 42' somthing or other was replacing his entire teak deck with Trex lumber and I'll tell you it was looking very nice with no upkeep ahead of him. Something to think about. It comes in 5/4 thicknesses and can be easily sawn and routed to shape. It has little longitudinal strength however so it needs to be supported. Hole plugs can be bought or made as well. I don't know if 4200 or 5200 will adhere to it or not, I will experiment this year with that.
Good luck and keep us posted on your successes.
I am using Polyglow on the hull and deck to obtain an easy very good looking high gloss look. I have rave comments on my hull which is a little dull otherwise. I found this product and it's recommended cleaner excellent and very easy to do.
Steve Paul
cp 27/2 "Impaulsive"