a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Compac 19 sailing vids

Started by Jackrabbit, March 05, 2019, 09:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit

I've just uploaded a few new vids of "Restless" sailing on Lac Deschenes, in Ottawa, Canada, for the winter weary.  Low production values, terrible audio, but hopefully some nice vignettes of simple sailing to get snow-bound minds edging toward Spring:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4HdSiekyzodraQnW6WnoIw?view_as=subscriber

If the link doesn't work just type Jack Rabbit and Sailing in the Youtube search engine.

Burton
S.V. "Restless"

Wayne J

Very nice videos.   Thanks for sharing at this time of year as we get ready to splash!

Wayne
CP-16/2 1986
Catalina Capri 14.2 1985
Richmond, Virginia

Cats Paw

Nice Vids  Thanks for sharing.

Bob23

Thanks for the inspiration Jack. I needed that!

Jackrabbit

Hi folks,  as the season winds down for we of the North-bound lands & lakes, thought you might be interested in some recently posted vids of my CP19 "Restless" at  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4HdSiekyzodraQnW6WnoIw?view_as=subscriber

Finbar Beagle

Looking good Jack.  Looks like Woodpecker had a reef in, and you gave a quick flash of you keel under full main.

Was you rail below water?  I have not yet been able to do that in a controlled fashion on my 19.

Thanks,
Brian
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

crazycarl

thanks!  maybe we should have a thread just for sailing videos to get us through the hard water months.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Fourwinds

What's winter?  I can also post pics of me sailing all winter.
ComPac 19
Hull 118
Honda 2.3

Jackrabbit

"Woodpecker" (a Paceship PY23) had to reef by two panels so we could keep company on the downwind leg, but, heh, heh, on the upwind beat I had him licked by a long mile!  My friend, Kirill, often vaunts the advantage of his junk rig off the wind, as the sail essentially behaves like a big square sail and catches a lot of wind, but he saw the decided advantage of the marconi rig as she lifted to windward  (which is usually the direction we want to go!).   Note that "Restless" is one of those rare Compac 19s fitted with a centerboard, for that extra little edge to windward.

I'm too chicken to let her rail dip - I've found that if I don't reef early in a rising wind she quickly gets pushed onto her side, to the point of feeling like she might go all the way over, but releasing the mainsheet brings her right back up.  You can see in the video of her beating how I had a brief overpowering moment.  I put a reef in the main and rolled the genoa in by about 20% shortly after that shot, and she was much tamer, while still exhibiting a good turn of speed.   Someday I might get up the courage to see how far over she'll go, but definitely not on a cold Fall day.