a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

port windows

Started by Shannonpn, April 27, 2019, 02:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shannonpn

Just purchased 2009 SunCat...windows looks like maybe they have never been open.  I am wondering how much force you use to open them.  Any tips to tricks? I don't want to damage them.

rogerschwake

Be extra careful the last owner may have sealed them shut. That was the only way I could stop them from leaking. Didn't believe they were big enough to help with ventilation anyway. Just my though on your problem.

ROGER

Shannonpn

Thanks Roger for your reply.  I believe I will leave them be for now.  Glad I asked and appreciate your advice.

Peter

Jim in TC

Our 2006 Sun had been stored for a couple or a few years when we took over last year. As I recall, the ports were pretty "sticky" but opened with modest, persistent pressure. I like to have them open when we are at a slip in the sun, just to keep the cabin less stuffy. We have some cabin leakage that I have not completely tracked down but I don't think any can be attributed to the ports.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Shannonpn

Jim I think I may hold off on forcing the windows for now, but yes must be nice to have a little cross breeze...as it looks like I have some leaks to contend with as well.  Based on the research here I will likely start with some 4200 re-caulking the outside plates. Water can be seen running down the wood interior..for now I am fortunate that the Sun Cat came with a full cover which I will use in the meantime.  I guess leaks are somewhat inherent in sailboats and RVs  Anything that moves around seems logical sealant would come apart over time.

Anyways, great folks and great site this is.  I am very excited to get out for a sail when the weather co operates....big change for me coming from a 1981 Boston whaler 15...although I sailed with the old man growing up, sloops though...and he was the Captain...I will be sailing mostly in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick so looking forward to seeing any other Com-Pacs on the water in our area.

Peter

Jim in TC

Not long ago I saw an ad in a boating magazine for something that might loosen those ports...and now when I look for it realize it must have gone to the recycle bin. A search on 'boat sealant removers' reveals some products that might help, but none look like the one I tossed. And a solvent without 'boat' or 'marine' in the name may cost less for the same benefit...

I have been chasing cabin leaks down all spring and may have finally gotten them mostly (one wee drip in a downpour remains). I had to remove a teak decorative rail that the PO installed, leaving it off and sealing the screw holes. Then all of the line clutches came off and were re-sealed. Finally both hand rails needed to be redone. There is little hardware remaining that I didn't re-set. The problem with these leaks is that the water can move around on its way to a low point so the drip - unless it is coming all the way through and dripping off a screw head - can be hard to associate with any given bit of hardware. I used a watering can and one-by-one poured water over ports, handrails etc, waited a few minutes, and checked for drips. The ports were not a problem (though I added a line of sealant around the trim and a bit in the screw holes).

The other problem with leaks like these is that, given our seasonal temperature differences in northern climates, I will not be too surprised to find some of these have opened back up next spring from fiberglass and hardware contraction and expansion.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel