Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Infiniti sedan and a CP16

Started by bps, August 08, 2020, 10:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bps

Hello,
Looking to get a 16 and will sail it at the SC coast (North Myrtle Beach).  I have two questions.  First, I have an Infiniti G37 and am thinking about using that for the boat.  I'll keep the boat stored near a boat ramp and will only need to pull it a mile or two (and launch of course).  Infiniti in the US doesn't give a tow rating for a G37.  However, they do have tow ratings of generally 3500 for their small SUV's.  The G37 has the same chassis and engine and I've also seen ratings for a G37 in other countries.  My wife has a Honda CRV which has a 1500 tow rating.  Don't see how the small 4 cylinder in that can be better than a much more powerful V6 in the Infiniti.  Also don't want to have to ask the wife to put a hitch on her car.  I've spoken with Keith at Sailboats Richlands and he sees no issue.

The other question I have is what size engine would be sufficient?  I'll be launching in the ICW and then motor out an inlet and be sailing in the ocean.  Is a 3.5 enough?  I know larger engines are much heavier.  I plan to go look at one that will need an engine.  Suggestions?

Thanks!

Gerry

You can see towing ratings on line for all cars.  I have a 2.0 Ford Escape with a rating of  3500 lbs.  I have no problems towing, launching and retrieving my CP16.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

geeman

Can't speak about towing capacity/ability of you infinity, but the athour of "Handbook of Trailer Sailing" - Burgess, towed his up and down Florida with a four cylinder - pinto if memory serves.  My guess is the bigger issue for you will be getting back up the ramp after your done sailing.  Maybe a non issue. 
1978 Com-Pac 16
Hull Number 558

kickingbug1

rear or 4 wheel drive is  always better for towing however the 16 is a pretty light rig and i would think your car could handle it pretty well. not worth getting a different car
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Renae

It's not so much what you can pull, but what you can stop.  Make sure your tires and brakes are in excellent condition, and that your tongue weight and angle on the trailer are correct.  Don't ever forget you have a trailer/missile behind you and drive accordingly.  The size of the engine is secondary to all of that.